Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Fix For Issue That Prevented Some MacBook Pros From Booting On Recent Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Fix For Issue That Prevented Some MacBook Pros From Booting On Recent Kernels

Phoronix: Linux Fix For Issue That Prevented Some MacBook Pros From Booting On Recent Kernels

Seeming to affect mostly Apple MacBook laptops, some systems since Linux 4.17 and newer have failed to boot but fortunately a fix is now queued for landing into the mainline tree and being back-ported to the stable branches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's too bad. I was hoping it was an intentional Fk off and Die patch for arrogant/retarded Mac users.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      That's too bad. I was hoping it was an intentional Fk off and Die patch for arrogant/retarded Mac users.
      Damn, even edges have edges in your post.

Comment

Although I agree with ThoreauHD about how Apple should be treated, some linux users receive a macbook as gift/work machine, so being able to use a better OS than the one that comes pre-installed on them would be a nice feature to have

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Although I agree with ThoreauHD about how Apple should be treated, some linux users receive a macbook as gift/work machine, so being able to use a better OS than the one that comes pre-installed on them would be a nice feature to have
          I'm one of those. I have a 2018 MBP from work for free. I'm aiming to get a private XPS or similar sometime this year, but as the hardware really isn't that bad, the best thing would be if I could boot Linux on the macbook instead.

I haven't really been following the developments in this area lately, can you still not install Linux at all on the 2018 macbooks, or was it just that you needed to disable secureboot? Or any other workaround possible at this time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post

I'm one of those. I have a 2018 MBP from work for free. I'm aiming to get a private XPS or similar sometime this year, but as the hardware really isn't that bad, the best thing would be if I could boot Linux on the macbook instead.

I haven't really been following the developments in this area lately, can you still not install Linux at all on the 2018 macbooks, or was it just that you needed to disable secureboot? Or any other workaround possible at this time?
            i suggest you watch rossman and still say the hardware isnt that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
              Sell that shit, DO NOT install another (unsupported) OS on a work machine if you like to keep your ass intact.

Comment

Working...
              X