Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.32 Lands Long-Awaited Fractional Scaling Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.32 Lands Long-Awaited Fractional Scaling Support

GNOME 3.32 already picked up a wealth of improvements, polishing, and fixing this cycle, but as we hit the final stretch ahead of the desktop's release in two weeks a big feature just squeezed in.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bravo.

Comment

My hopes for this:
      • Vector graphics are properly exported at the target size (rather than exported at a low size and then the resulting pixels are stretched/scaled-up)
      • Fonts are scaled to the target size using the font engine (again: not stretched after being exported a size that is too low)
      • Applications can signal that they want to handle scaling themselves. Gnome would then feed them the fractional size and they do the work. There are plenty of apps where it would be much better to let the app do the scaling, e.g. most games and design apps.
      • The user can opt to only scale using integer scaling. Personally, 99% of the time I'd rather just jump by fixed integer increments in order to preserve clean, hard lines. An app designed for 1080p, but being displayed on a 4K monitor of equivalent monitor size, will look great with a simple 2x integer scale up.
      Last edited by cybertraveler; 02 March 2019, 06:06 AM. Reason: Corrected final bullet point. I forgot to mention the "4K" monitor aspect of it.

Comment

Hallelujah! As I've been waiting

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          My hopes for this:[*]Vector graphics are properly exported at the target size (rather than exported at a low size and then the resulting pixels are stretched/scaled-up)[*]Fonts are scaled to the target size using the font engine (again: not stretched after being exported a size that is too low)
          Exactly. But if this can't be done, then why not at least round to ceiling and scale down? (e.g. 2x for 1.5x)

[*]Applications can signal that they want to handle scaling themselves. Gnome would then feed them the fractional size and they do the work. There are plenty of apps where it would be much better to let the app do the scaling, e.g. most games and design apps.
          How would they? Oh no, another GNOME-specific protocol extension

[*]The user can opt to only scale using integer scaling. Personally, 99% of the time I'd rather just jump by fixed integer increments in order to preserve clean, hard lines. On an app designed for 1080p at the equivalent monitor size will look great with a simple 2x integer scale up.
          This is probably guaranteed to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            How would they? Oh no, another GNOME-specific protocol extension
            Presumably it could be written as a Wayland protocol. It would gracefully handle applications that don't speak the protocol. If the protocol was useful and began to get popular, I bet other Wayland compositors would implement it.

I'm not sure though. That's just my guess.

Comment

Awesome! Looks like it won't be in Ubuntu 19.04 though...

Comment

This is massive! High DPI scaling is one of the primary pain points for me and I'm very glad to see this large feature addition paving the way to perfect scaling.

Comment

wondering what took them so longer, our couple of thousand lines custom GUI system does this already for four years, ..! https://exactscan.com/universal/ guess I should have licensed this UI toolkit. Another in-house test demo can be seen as Activity in most of my YT videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAE7x-u1g0

Comment

FullHD is finally will be more usable on 10-15 inch screens! Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X