Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling AMD Radeon FreeSync On Linux 5.0

Phoronix: Enabling AMD Radeon FreeSync On Linux 5.0

One of the most asked questions in recent weeks has been how to enable the newly added support for FreeSync on Linux. Now with Linux 5.0 out there, here is a quick guide...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about FreeSync on GNOME Wayland? Is it possible? And how to enable it on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by ZFKerr View Post
      What about FreeSync on GNOME Wayland? Is it possible? And how to enable it on Wayland?
      If it needs the amdgpu ddx, i think it's safe to assume it won't work on wayland.

Comment

doesnt work on my hdmi freesync monitor

Comment

Now I wish there were any 16:10 aspect ratio displays with IPS panels that support Freesync. Sorry but I'm not switching back to 16:9. I develop software primarily and extra height really makes a difference. And I love my Dell U2315.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            doesnt work on my hdmi freesync monitor
            Is the monitor also capable of freesync over hdmi ? some of them can only do freesync over DP.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Is the monitor also capable of freesync over hdmi ? some of them can only do freesync over DP.
              yes it is, on windows it worked properly

Comment

My HP Envy x360 15-cp0001na with AU Optronics AUO22ED panel, was recognized as FreeSync capable 40 - 60 Hz on windows. But not on linux with kernel 5.0
                xrandr --prop says vrr_capable: 0

Maybe I need to manually edit EDID data or something..

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

If it needs the amdgpu ddx, i think it's safe to assume it won't work on wayland.
                  Wayland compositors will need to grow their own support for variable refresh rate. It’ll likely also involve a new Wayland protocol extension, or at least an addition to an existing extension. Probably just a matter of time.

Comment

Also note that Mesa has black-listed the various desktop compositors, web browsers, and media players from enabling FreeSync support.
                    What exactly does this mean? I assume freesync is still working on the driver level but you won't see any benefits since the compositors don't support it? I.e. you'd still be at fixed refresh rates when on your desktop?

Comment

Working...
                    X