Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.1 Will Play Nicer With The LLVM Linker (LD.LLD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.1 Will Play Nicer With The LLVM Linker (LD.LLD)

Phoronix: Linux 5.1 Will Play Nicer With The LLVM Linker (LD.LLD)

The Kbuild updates for the in-development Linux 4.1 kernel have a few worthwhile improvements including the ability to pass optional flags to dpkg-buildpackage when spinning up a Debian kernel package, some minor optimizations, and preparations around LD.LLD support in using the LLVM linker to link the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Spelling: "in-development Linux 4.1 kernel" should be "5.1" instead.

Comment

Are there any linux distros built entirely with the LLVM toolchain? Or Gentooers that have made the switch

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Are there any linux distros built entirely with the LLVM toolchain? Or Gentooers that have made the switch
        Gentoo user here.
        My Server(ARMv8) is working with non-GNU toolchain(lld, clang, libc++, etc.). Currently only OpenJDK/Icedtea needs to be compiled with gcc and sometimes the LLD linker breaks a build.
        On my Desktop System there are more packages that are incompatible but the KDE Desktop compiles mostly with clang/LLD.
        Don't know about other configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          As an OpenBSD devel where we are using Clang + LLD on arm64/arm/amd64/i386 I was curious and asked the OpenMadriva guys knowing they have been using Clang for quite awhile. They said they are not using LLD yet but hope to look at switching by 8.

Comment

Working...
          X