Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A DRM-Based Linux Oops Viewer Is Being Proposed Again - Similar To Blue Screen of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DRM-Based Linux Oops Viewer Is Being Proposed Again - Similar To Blue Screen of Death

Phoronix: A DRM-Based Linux Oops Viewer Is Being Proposed Again - Similar To Blue Screen of Death

Back when kernel mode-setting (KMS) was originally talked about a decade ago one of the talked about possibilities of implementing a Linux "Blue Screen of Death" / better error handling when a dramatic system problem occurs. Such an implementation never really materialized but now in 2019 there is a developer pursuing new work in this area with a DRM-based kernel oops viewer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Change the color to green then.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Better than a frozen or black screen, but I wonder in which situation this might work anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
        The blue screen of death always has scared me...
        I'd strongly prefer an explicit error message rather than a frozen or black screen.

Comment

Well I could not care less if the screen was red, green, blue, yellow or pink.... The last 10 years or so I have not seen single a Oops at all on my Debian boxes.
          That being said, I prefer black screen with red text. It's time to bring back the famous GURU MEDITATION from the good old Amiga days! And I actually think that a nice juicy PENGUIN MEDITATION message would do the trick

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
            The blue screen of death always has scared me...
            Maybe rainbow screen of death?

Comment

Maybe just make it possible for graphics drivers to be reloaded..

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                That being said, I prefer black screen with red text. It's time to bring back the famous GURU MEDITATION from the good old Amiga days! And I actually think that a nice juicy PENGUIN MEDITATION message would do the trick
                For those wondering what waxhead was talking about, there's a nice Wikipedia article on it:

Learned something new

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  Maybe just make it possible for graphics drivers to be reloaded..
                  That wouldn't help. After a kernel panic has occurred, you can't really trust anything because there may be arbitrary memory corruption. (It's basically the closest thing to the kernel segfaulting, except that the part which just "segfaulted" is the part responsible for detecting that something went wrong and the part responsible for keeping the system going.)

Note this part of the article:

with the intention of implementing the support as "minimal" DRM drivers for each hardware -- something slim enough that these drivers could still work in the cases of major kernel problems, so not using any dynamic memory, IRQs disabled, and other minimal assumptions about the state of the hardware or its capabilities.
                  There's a reason that BIOS-based systems use serial consoles for debug logging. Writing to COM1 is both simple and pretty much guaranteed to work if your kernel is un-corrupted enough to reach the panic handler.
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 10 March 2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X