Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Officially Announces DTrace For Windows

Phoronix: Microsoft Officially Announces DTrace For Windows

It's been a poorly kept secret for months, but today Microsoft formally announced DTrace for Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Windows 10 as a monthly subscription service, when?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Even MS isn't this stupid.

Comment

MSaaS
        Microsoft Spyware as a Service, Looks legit to me.

Comment

This is great!
          Instead if Microsoft doing something themselves and re-inventing the wheel because of NIH syndrome they adopt a proven, mature, popular open source technology. That is great!
          Hopefully this benefits DTrace upstreams too and everyone happy!
          People with skills with DTrace can employ their skills on more platforms now, so this is great for all people who know DTrace or will be learning it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This is great!
            Instead if Microsoft doing something themselves and re-inventing the wheel because of NIH syndrome they adopt a proven, mature, popular open source technology. That is great!
            Could be E.E.E.

They haven't used that strat recently, but I don't trust them. Just look at Windows 10: it's their main OS and it's a mass surveillance tool with operating system features tacked on. It also seems to be designed to gradually get users used to not having power over their own desktop computer system. IE with the forced updates, forced reboots & forced changing of user settings during updates.

That company is a weapon and it's pointed towards everyone who loves freedom, privacy & choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Why not? I think it is great idea. Rename misleading "Windows 10 Pro" to "Windows 10 Fake Pro Spyware Edition" and give something like "Windows 10 Real Pro Subscribe Based Edition":

* Office 2019 Pro with free updates in the future (i.e. it is not Office 365 Spy Edition that require constant updates)
              * Office 2019 Pro is not sync everything with Microsoft/Exchange Account after configure Outlook
              * Microsoft Account not required and user is not forced to use it in all system applications (except activation/subscription checks)
              * All telemetry mechanics disabled by default (except activation/subscription checks)
              * Windows minor updates enabled by default, but user have ability to turn it off like it was in Win7
              * Windows "big season" updates - user is informed, but not forced to update (information could be disabled)
              * Metro SpyWare games/programs and adverts are not installed by default
              * Metro SpyIcons disabled by default
              * XboX stupid GUI when starting games disabled by default
              * Windows AntiVirus could be disabled
              * Keyboard / Active Pen "deep learning" (i.e. telemetry) disabled by default
              * Windows Cortana disabled by default. Only real local Windows Search is enabled (with option to disable it off course
              * Windows Logon screen - again is Logon screen only without forced and hidden "other activities" (i.e. no forced telemetry and wallpaper downloader like it is in "Windows 10 Fake Pro Edition")

It could be great edition! Probably many users would really pay for it. Many of them already paying for Word/Excel in Office 365, so why not for full system that they could again configure to their preference?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Even MS isn't this stupid.
                Well, I don't think MS would be dumb enough to do strictly Windows-as-a-service, but, they're already sorta doing this:

Note Windows 10 is included as part of the package; this is not the same thing as Office 365. I'm not 100% sure what happens if, for example, you stop paying for this (in regards to whether Windows deactivates or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Why not? I think it is great idea. Rename misleading "Windows 10 Pro" to "Windows 10 Fake Pro Spyware Edition" and give something like "Windows 10 Real Pro Subscribe Based Edition":

* Office 2019 Pro with free updates in the future (i.e. it is not Office 365 Spy Edition that require constant updates)
                  * Office 2019 Pro is not sync everything with Microsoft/Exchange Account after configure Outlook
                  * Microsoft Account not required and user is not forced to use it in all system applications (except activation/subscription checks)
                  * All telemetry mechanics disabled by default (except activation/subscription checks)
                  * Windows minor updates enabled by default, but user have ability to turn it off like it was in Win7
                  * Windows "big season" updates - user is informed, but not forced to update (information could be disabled)
                  * Metro SpyWare games/programs and adverts are not installed by default
                  * Metro SpyIcons disabled by default
                  * XboX stupid GUI when starting games disabled by default
                  * Windows AntiVirus could be disabled
                  * Keyboard / Active Pen "deep learning" (i.e. telemetry) disabled by default
                  * Windows Cortana disabled by default. Only real local Windows Search is enabled (with option to disable it off course
                  * Windows Logon screen - again is Logon screen only without forced and hidden "other activities" (i.e. no forced telemetry and wallpaper downloader like it is in "Windows 10 Fake Pro Edition")

It could be great edition! Probably many users would really pay for it. Many of them already paying for Word/Excel in Office 365, so why not for full system that they could again configure to their preference?
                  Yeah, I don't really mind. I'm not using Windows, but I don't think it's an issue to pay for an OS. Up until recently, I donated a few dollars per month to Solus. The fact that it was recurring monthly makes it subscription-LIKE. So I don't mind. (I stopped paying because they shut down their Patreon for now, so no one can pay them currently)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, I don't really mind. I'm not using Windows, but I don't think it's an issue to pay for an OS. Up until recently, I donated a few dollars per month to Solus. The fact that it was recurring monthly makes it subscription-LIKE. So I don't mind. (I stopped paying because they shut down their Patreon for now, so no one can pay them currently)
                    I think it can be healthy. Imagine if a company would go invest in Linux desktop in the interest of charging money for it after! Because that's kind of what NeXT and OS X had: invest in making a UNIX product. And even now in 2019 there are still a lot of things Linux desktops can learn from '00s OS X.

A sustainable business model can really incentivise quality production. Look at Red Hat and server operating systems!

Comment

Working...
                    X