Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 3.1 Open-Source Game Engine Debuts With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Godot 3.1 Open-Source Game Engine Debuts With Many Improvements

It's been over one year since Godot 3.0 debuted and today it's finally been succeeded by the release of Godot 3.1, the latest feature update for this leading cross-platform, open-source game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Godot is shaping up to be a really nice OSS engine. I think they're slowly getting to the point where commercial engines, especially lower end ones like Unity will have to start competing and that's a hugely good thing.

Comment

This looks like it's going to be a very nice release. Their 4.0 roadmap with a Vulkan renderer and improved 3d support has me excited for their future.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
        Godot is shaping up to be a really nice OSS engine. I think they're slowly getting to the point where commercial engines, especially lower end ones like Unity will have to start competing and that's a hugely good thing.
        Yeah, I'm going to be interested to see how the field looks in another half decade or so, Godot has the feature of having a commercially viable license (MIT) unlike previous open source engines that were under the GPL or an explicitly non-commercial license, which means it actually has the potential to take on the current engine vendors as opposed to just serving the hobbyist market.

Comment

Exciting News! Godot is such a great and easy to use Engine. I've been using Unity for years, but recently switched to Godot and love it.

Comment

Godot is on-par with Unity, although not stable as it. In my opinion, it's better than Unity on 2D, but need to improve on 3D. I'm glad I contributed a little with this amazing release.

Comment

Can't wait to try it. Been learning it slowly. Really lean engine code, which is great. Although, HTML5 exports are a disaster in blob size and bugs that differ from desktop with it on 3.0 for me. But oh well, still pretty nice over all, I'll hope 3.1 fixes my issues. Otherwise, I might be submitting patches soon.

Comment

Really amazing what they've done so far.
                Would really love to see a bigger studio use it and contribute back ^^

Comment

This is super cool, I can't wait for 4.0. Any word on an official roadmap? There's nothing here: https://godotengine.org/roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    This looks like it's going to be a very nice release. Their 4.0 roadmap with a Vulkan renderer and improved 3d support has me excited for their future.
                    They could integrate The Forge (TressFX guys) for their rendering needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X