Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Continues Getting More Fixes As It Rolls Out To More Devices

Phoronix: F2FS Continues Getting More Fixes As It Rolls Out To More Devices

The Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) continues being supported by more Android-powered mobile devices and with this uptick in user activity is resulting in more fixes and low-level improvements to the file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did Samsung abandon the plan to release a Windows driver for f2fs?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Did Samsung even have that plan to begin with? I've not found any decisive statement

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Did Samsung even have that plan to begin with? I've not found any decisive statement
        They planned something like "universal filesystem for flash drives". In order for that to work, they would need to create drivers for all common OSes.

Comment

They planned something like "universal filesystem for flash drives". In order for that to work, they would need to create drivers for all common OSes.
          In business-speak, "universal" means mac & windows.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post

In business-speak, "universal" means mac & windows.
            Yet they made it for Android (Linux) only.

Comment

No. It's still on the todo list: https://f2fs.wiki.kernel.org/development

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
                No. It's still on the todo list: https://f2fs.wiki.kernel.org/development
                Thats a great link, found the backports repo for a older kernels, so I can import the long list of fixes.

Comment

Ah yes F2FS, the filesystem that openSUSE Tumbleweed discontinued with just 48 hour notice for comment, leaving a few users in the lurch. I wonder if they re-enabled it or not. Mm, nope:

# CONFIG_F2FS_FS is not set

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

fuse is your friend and for sure fast enough for the typical media
                    I guess his issue is about people using F2FS on root, that after a kernel update could not boot anymore.

Opensuse does leave the older kernel as a fallback though, so they could just reboot into the old kernel and live on for a while until they find the time to migrate the rootfs on a supported filesystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X