Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yum vs. DNF Is Still Causing Headaches For Fedora Logistics

Phoronix: Yum vs. DNF Is Still Causing Headaches For Fedora Logistics

While the DNF package manager as the "next-generation Yum" has been in development for over a half-decade and has been the default over traditional Yum for a number of Fedora releases, it's still causing headaches for some and a subset of users still desiring that DNF be renamed to Yum...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just symlink /etc/distro.repos.d and /etc/yum.repos.d. Problem solved.

Comment

I'm glad this most important thing is taking up everyone's attention. (sarcasm)

Comment

Silverblue doesn't use yum (or dnf) so it makes sense to use /etc/distro.repos.d

I say go for it.

Still read from /etc/yum.repos.d for a while, no need to symlink.

Comment

I don't care that much personally, but I think they could have avoided this issue if they didn't come up with such a bad name. Yum is a good name, pithy, easy to write and say. DNF is a clunky acronym and is associated with 'Did not finish' and 'Duke Nukem Forever'. It's not the worst name out there (that accolade goes to Gimp), but it's pretty bad.

Comment

Did not one person ever google for dnf to see what it means?

Did Not Finish

Starting to seem appropriate...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              I don't care that much personally, but I think they could have avoided this issue if they didn't come up with such a bad name. Yum is a good name, pithy, easy to write and say. DNF is a clunky acronym and is associated with 'Did not finish' and 'Duke Nukem Forever'. It's not the worst name out there (that accolade goes to Gimp), but it's pretty bad.
              So? Just abbr -a yum dnf

Problem solved.
              (and there's a way to do it for bash as well)

Comment

"Why is my DNF config in /etc/yum.repos.d?"

Comment

Yeah, more bikeshedding please.

Comment

Working...
                  X