Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaleway's EPYC Powered Cloud Is Delivering Competitive Performance & Incredible Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaleway's EPYC Powered Cloud Is Delivering Competitive Performance & Incredible Value

Phoronix: Scaleway's EPYC Powered Cloud Is Delivering Competitive Performance & Incredible Value

Scaleway, the European cloud company we previously have talked about on Phoronix for their usage of Coreboot on servers, this week announced new "general purpose" VMs powered by AMD EPYC processors. Curious about the performance, I fired up some benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Last time I checked (some year ago) Scaleway does not support multiple network interfaces per instance, while Amazon EC2 does which lowers the cost for low traffic websites because they can be served from a single instance (an additional EC2 elastic IP address costs $0.005/hour). In this case the marginal cost of an HTTP/HTTPS server is the cost of a network interface with a public IP address.

https://www.scaleway.com/faq/servers...Ps-to-a-server
    You don't need additional IP addresses. Why not run your services on different ports?

Comment

Should compare to Hetzner offerings as well? They have EPYC too don't they? And at rather nice prices(not as nice of an experience to setup in comparison iirc).

For less than 0.35 USD an hour (but at a monthly rate as it's dedicated server, so you'd probably want to try get a sponsorship for tests from Hetzner), EPYC 7401P (24 Cores), 2 960GB NVMe drives in RAID 1, 128GB DDR4 ECC (4x 32GB), you can extend that at additional cost too if needed:

They do have VPS cloud instance options that are slightly cheaper than what's mentioned for Scaleway, but it's Skylake Xeon rather than EPYC.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
        Should compare to Hetzner offerings as well?
        Ugh, Hetzner. I've been a user of a project that has been hosted on Hetzner for several years, and it was a long, disappointing tale of sporadic connectivity problems and other network issues, often compounded by two or more days delay before Hetzner would address problems.

The recent decision to move to a new platform sparked a bit of debate about what to move to, but the idea to move from Hetzner was greeted with universal joy.

Comment

Good to know there are good European offerings, we might consider them for our services.

But this article would've made much more sense if you compared them to Vultr or DigitalOcean. Amazon was never about price/value.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            But this article would've made much more sense if you compared them to Vultr or DigitalOcean. Amazon was never about price/value.
            Unfortunately I don't have unlimited resources to compare to as many cloud providers and instances as I'd like, so for keeping things simple and to the masses, comparison was to EC2.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The programmer cannot freely choose the HTTP/HTTPS port (default is 80/443). The process of IP address resolution doesn't include the port number. A non-standard HTTP/HTTPS server port would mean that the browsing user has to specify it which affects user-friendliness.

In other cases, I agree with you.
              If using HTTP/HTTPS you can run multiple services on the same port using different DNS entries. nginx supports this for example.

Comment

Doesn't this prevent the user to enter the IP address directly into the browser/wget/etc (such as http://123.456.789.123)?
                Well yeah because you're using DNS to differentiate the services. Even Google will redirect you to a DNS entry if you type an IP.

Comment

I was rather hoping with EPYC, we finally see an increase in core count, except we see the same Core / Memory Ratio.

Comment

Glad to see more cloud providers and their variety of offerings compared here.

The term 'core' is used loosely in this article -- is it cores or threads? For an apples-to-apples performance comparison, we should compare m5a.2xlarge (4 cores) to the GP1-XS (4 cores) and an m5a.4xlarge (8 cores) to the GP1-S (8 cores). Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X