Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 66 Arrives - Blocks Auto-Playing Sounds, Hides Title Bar By Default For Linux

Mozilla this morning released Firefox 66.0 as the latest version of their open-source, cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hiding the title bar by default on linux is idiotic. Try it out on one of the top used DEs, KDE Plasma, and see what happens. It might make sense on macOS or Windows, but it definitely doesn't on linux.

Comment

i really like csd (hidden titlebar) for firefox on gnome. Saving vertical screen space is nice and you always have the tab-bar for dragging the window

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
        Hiding the title bar by default on linux is idiotic. Try it out on one of the top used DEs, KDE Plasma, and see what happens. It might make sense on macOS or Windows, but it definitely doesn't on linux.
        I use Firefox CSD on Plasma and it works great.

Comment

Muting auto-playing audio is a nice addition, though, Firefox already had the added benefit of being able to mute specific tabs.

I personally think it's more idiotic to have a redundant set of minimize, maximize/restore, and close buttons where the title bar basically just wastes vertical screen space.

Comment

molecule-eye, I don't use KDE but GNOME and see nothing... Maybe try describe a little bit more what I should see and why you call it 'idiotic'.

Comment

Why doesn't it make sense on Linux?

Comment

CSD is really great! have already disabled the title bar and menu bar in FF 60 ESR and also in Thunderbird. But there is one problem: in FF I can get the menu bar when needed with ALT, but not in Thunderbird.

Comment

Without title bar it looks ugly indeed. Luckily you can easily toggle it. Also, it didn't hide it for me on KDE when updating to 66.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I personally think it's more idiotic to have a redundant set of minimize, maximize/restore, and close buttons where the title bar basically just wastes vertical screen space.
                    Better to save more vertical space to be able to increase the font size and margins (i.e. actual wasted space) some more.

I mean, when we'll have 1 character filling up the entire browser window, we won't be able to increase the font size anymore, and that's bad, anti modern design guidelines!

Comment

Working...
                    X