Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Releasing DiRT 4 For Linux This Week

Phoronix: Feral Releasing DiRT 4 For Linux This Week

Feral Interactive just announced they will be releasing their DiRT 4 racing game port this week for macOS and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if Quantic Dreams' Detroit will be released for Linux as well since this PC port uses Vulkan as well. I guess there'll comparatively little to port to Linux in this case (controls, network and audio).

Originally posted by tildearrow
    I wish they could port the game to Vulkan instead of using a wrapper (assuming they have access to the source).
    From the financial point of view that makes little sense if any. The game will be marginally faster if using Vulkan natively, yet it'll require probably several times more man-hours and several times more money.
    Last edited by birdie; 25 March 2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
      I wish they could port the game to Vulkan instead of using a wrapper (assuming they have access to the source).
      Why do you make assumptions about the implementation when you do not have access to the source?

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post

Why do you make assumptions about the implementation when you do not have access to the source?
        Because I've heard they use a wrapper.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        How does Feral's wrapper compare to dxvk performance wise?
        (of course that may have changed, and if so, I just screwed up again)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Because I've heard they use a wrapper.
          They usually don't rewrite the whole renderer, but use source wrapping to translate the APIs.

Comment

The only goal Feral should strive for is beating the performance of this gaming running with Wine / Proton + DXVK. If they do then the port is a success in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              The only goal Feral should strive for is beating the performance of this gaming running with Wine / Proton + DXVK. If they do then the port is a success in my mind.
              Couldn't agree more but strangely Wine'ed implementation will be more future-proof.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

They usually don't rewrite the whole renderer, but use source wrapping to translate the APIs.
                A source wrapper can some times be zero cost in performance. if the mapping is done right. it will simply redirect the call to the relevant call of the wrapped header and not be a call between different APIs with taxing translations.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  I wonder if Quantic Dreams' Detroit will be released for Linux as well since this PC port uses Vulkan as well. I guess there'll comparatively little to port to Linux in this case (controls, network and audio).
                  They are exclusive to the Epic Games Store which doesn't have a Linux-client so you will have to resort to piracy and Wine if you want to play those games. That last part is more of a metaphorical middle finger to these anti-consumer companies than a serious suggestion directed at you by the way. It's 2019 and we still have game developers/publishers who fail to provide a better service than pirates. This boggles my mind. Much of Valves success comes from the fact that they knew they could beat piracy by providing a better service and a better customer experience.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

A source wrapper can some times be zero cost in performance. if the mapping is done right. it will simply redirect the call to the relevant call of the wrapped header and not be a call between different APIs with taxing translations.
                    Same can be said about binary wrapper like Wine. Whether you do that at link or compile time wouldn't change much. However access to source allows also rewriting shaders into something like SPIR-V. That can provide a performance benefit.

Comment

Working...
                    X