Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Served Up 500k Firmware Files To Linux Users This Month

Phoronix: LVFS Served Up 500k Firmware Files To Linux Users This Month

Back in February the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) was celebrating having served more than five million firmware files over the duration of this service for providing BIOS/firmware files to Linux users for different hardware components from different vendors ranging from mice/peripheral firmware to new system/motherboard BIOS from major hardware vendors. That count is quickly shooting up these days and they are now serving 500k files per month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I’m hoping HP gets on board as their current BIOS update mechanisms suck. HP’s methods are so bad I can’t recommend their hardware anymore, which is sad because my last laptop is pretty decent.

Comment

HP are already on board...
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Very few vendors are committed thus far. Most motherboard manufacturers are missing...

Comment

I love, love, love this feature on my ThinkPad. Do a GNOME Software update, and hey here's a new BIOS for you.

It's probably not important in terms of every day usability, but these final little touches clinch the emotional reality of free software being truly at home on my hardware. The next little/big thing I'm looking forward to is flicker-free Plymouth.

Comment

Pretty awesome. Got two bios updates from it already, went super smooth. Quite a big step forward for end users.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
              Very few vendors are committed thus far. Most motherboard manufacturers are missing...
              Most people buy computers, especially laptops, from a company like Dell, HP, IBM, etc rather than buying the parts and assembling them. While it would be great if motherboard mfgs would participate, I wouldn't hold your breath because most of them aren't even aware there's viable (Linux's market share is barely beyond statistical noise with desktops) operating systems beyond Windows. The fact that HP, Dell, and others do participate and are selling computers with Linux distributions pre-installed is a huge step by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                Most motherboard manufacturers are missing...
                They don't support update capsule on Windows either (what LVFS is using), because they just don't care.

Any mobo can only be updated through its own UEFI interface with the new firmware on a FAT32 USB drive, OR by using the UEFI firmware's own "download a new firmware from manufacturer's servers" functionality (totally not unsafe bullshit).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  They don't support update capsule on Windows either (what LVFS is using), because they just don't care.

Any mobo can only be updated through its own UEFI interface with the new firmware on a FAT32 USB drive, OR by using the UEFI firmware's own "download a new firmware from manufacturer's servers" functionality (totally not unsafe bullshit).
                  To be fair, that's the safest way of doing firmware updates -from the UEFI firmware update interface that is. There's always a larger possibility of a failed update from inside the OS because of the larger amount of code between the updater program and the writer module. Bugs happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                    Except they are only supporting a few z-series workstations currently. Users are wanting their Pro/Elite lineup supported.

Comment

Working...
                    X