Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Could Be Hosting 10k+ Firmware Files By End Of 2019

Phoronix: LVFS Could Be Hosting 10k+ Firmware Files By End Of 2019

LVFS, the Linux Vendor Firmware Service, that pairs with Fwupd integration for offering firmware/BIOS updates to Linux users could be offering up more than ten thousand distinct firmware files before the end of the calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The LVFS website looks much more professional since it got under the wings of the Linux Foundation.

Unfortunately Asus, Gigabyte and Microsoft does not use LVFS. 😥️

Last edited by uid313; 07 April 2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Unfortunately Asus, Gigabyte and Microsoft does not use Coreboot.
      How is this even relevant?
      Everyone on LVFS does not support Coreboot. Not even Coreboot supports Coreboot updates through LVFS.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 April 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I guess you need some special hardware to get some firmware updates, at least my hardware didn't receiving anything so far. Not even Samsung with their SSD's are supporting this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          How is this even relevant?
          Everyone on LVFS does not support Coreboot. Not even Coreboot supports Coreboot updates through LVFS.
          Sorry, I wrote wrong. I meant LVFS not Coreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            The LVFS website looks much more professional since it got under the wings of the Linux Foundation.

Unfortunately Asus, Gigabyte and Microsoft does not use LVFS. 😥️

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendorlist
            Linux Foundation doesn't manage the website. It is still developed by the exact same developer. The improvements in the website come from him.

Comment

How to know which hardware is supported?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Linux Foundation doesn't manage the website. It is still developed by the exact same developer. The improvements in the website come from him.
                But it could be that the Linux Foundation pushed him to create a better website?

Comment

I think LVFS is going to become one of the biggest things to hit the Linux world in quite some time. At least since the advent of Ubuntu showing the way to Linux being a truly viable alternative desktop computing platform to the likes of Windows and OS X.

Comment

Oh...and lest I forget...Snaps and Flatpak.

Comment

Working...
                    X