Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At Least 27% Of Gentoo's Portage Can Be Easily LTO Optimized For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least 27% Of Gentoo's Portage Can Be Easily LTO Optimized For Better Performance

Phoronix: At Least 27% Of Gentoo's Portage Can Be Easily LTO Optimized For Better Performance

GentooLTO is a configuration overlay for Gentoo's overlay to make it easy to enable Link Time Optimizations (LTO) and other compiler optimizations for enabling better performance out of the Gentoo packages. GentooLTO appears to be inspired in part by the likes of Clear Linux who employ LTO and other compiler optimization techniques like AutoFDO for yielding better performance than what is conventionally shipped by Linux distributions. The GentooLTO developers and users have wrapped up their survey looking at how practical this overlay configuration is on the massive Portage collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even though I am not brave enough for trying Gentoo myself, I really like the philosophy of this project!

Comment

I have used this configuration before and can say it's a rock-solid experience. Any issues get fixed in 2 days, max, and you can keep a local fix on your machine until then.

I'm currently running NixOS and wish there was a similar project for it. It makes me want to try Gentoo again!

Comment

OpenMandriva build almost all packages with LTO. LTO is enabled by default for all packages and can be manually disabled for packages that build fail due to LTO.

Comment

It looks like LTO is already used for alot of packages even without this configuration on Gentoo, quite often I see collect2 and lto-wrapper appear in the linking stage when I look at htop. Although this overlay also enables some more experimental stuff, not sure if I want to mess with it haha.

Comment

Interesting!
            30 users isn't much, though. Especially in the Gentoo case. The good (and bad?) thing about Gentoo is the maximum of individuality, but that means you might encounter compilation issues or runtime issues on other systems than the tested ones. In principle there are plenty of possible combinations, event though Gentoo devs advise the users to use sane / safe CFLAGs. Still, there are many basic architectures that Gentoo supports, and of thoses there are many sub-models since you can compile for e.g. virtually any x86-compatible unit, from original and compatible i486 to modern Zen or Xeons and whatnot.
            And all the possible USE flag combinations that might (or not) require certain parts to be built (or not).
            In my perception Gentoo devs / maintainers are fairly conservative when it comes to new releases of very basic libs and compiler versions. Because it can break so freaking much.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Interesting!
              30 users isn't much, though.
              Totally agreed! Clear (all) and Ubuntu (desktop) offer an easy option during install time to share some telemetry. In cases like Firefox it's easily viewable what you send upstream, so check it if you want to help out these open projects without you having to do anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                30 users isn't much, though. Especially in the Gentoo case.
                Inb4: "The others have hard drives larger than 20 GiB, and don't want or need LTO. Personally I have an array of 30 x 16 TB disks and really hope that software used more space. Now that I think of it, they could even include the whole git history and binaries for all the previous versions in the hidden ELF sections just to consume more space for no apparent reason"

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Inb4: "The others have hard drives larger than 20 GiB, and don't want or need LTO. Personally I have an array of 30 x 16 TB disks and really hope that software used more space. Now that I think of it, they could even include the whole git history and binaries for all the previous versions in the hidden ELF sections just to consume more space for no apparent reason"
                  What a useless comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

What a useless comment.
                    You don't seem to realize how often people use the size of the largest mass storage drives as a metric for evaluating how large the software should be.

Comment

Working...
                    X