Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRTIO 1.1 Released With 2D Graphics Support, Evdev Input Device

Phoronix: VIRTIO 1.1 Released With 2D Graphics Support, Evdev Input Device

The Virtual I/O Device standard has christened its VIRTIO 1.1 specification this month. This is the virtualization standard around network/storage/graphics/other-hardware in mind for cross-hypervisor compatibility...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The graphics would have been great 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      The graphics would have been great 10 years ago.
      The need for graphics in KVM didn't change. Therefore they are still great now.

Comment

Now if only there was a guest driver for Windows supporting thr graphics acceleration...a

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The need for graphics in KVM didn't change. Therefore they are still great now.
          Whatever for? 10 years ago I wanted to have a VM instance to run office on and another instance to test stuff since my development machines were expensive and took a lot of space. Now my workstation is a vesa-mounted minipc, libreoffice is a valid option as well as wine and google docs, and I compile stuff on a headless server across the hall.

Oh, and in a gaming machine I can just pass-through the graphics card to a VM instance running windows and use the embedded graphics for dom0...

If they had perfect 3D and video it might have been a different story. But this is just too little too late.

Comment

Whatever for?
            Laptop VMs?

You know laptops? The most common PC type sold in the modern world? Used by people to do stuff that can't be delegated to a remote server?

Now my workstation is a vesa-mounted minipc, libreoffice is a valid option as well as wine and google docs, and I compile stuff on a headless server across the hall.
            Great, your specific workflow does not need it, does not mean it changed for everyone else too.

For example, in industrial automation you are 100% going to use a VM to install the Windows-only IDE software because of various very valid reasons (you need specific IDE versions, the IDE is a piece of shit software that will NOT like being installed together with other manufacturer's IDEs, and will also add dozens of shit services that slow down the OS) even if you are using a Windows host.

And yes. they need some form of 3D acceleration to work properly their fucking 2D interface, even if they aren't using 3D or doing rendering.

Comment

Whatever for? 10 years ago I wanted to have a VM instance to run office on and another instance to test stuff since my development machines were expensive and took a lot of space. Now my workstation is a vesa-mounted minipc, libreoffice is a valid option as well as wine and google docs, and I compile stuff on a headless server across the hall.

Oh, and in a gaming machine I can just pass-through the graphics card to a VM instance running windows and use the embedded graphics for dom0...

If they had perfect 3D and video it might have been a different story. But this is just too little too late.
              Configuration could be challenging but in most cases it's more optimal to share resources than to dedicate it to a specific OS, so I'd say it's never too late.

I have been using "pass-through" for years now and happy with it, but if virtio had perfect 3D acceleration I'd rather use that (less maintenance, hardware configuration, components, power draw, etc).

Comment

Working...
              X