Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time To Re-Vote Following The Botched 2019 X.Org Elections

Phoronix: It's Time To Re-Vote Following The Botched 2019 X.Org Elections

While there were the recent X.Org Foundation board elections, a do-over was needed as their new custom-written voting software wasn't properly recording votes... So here's now your reminder to re-vote in these X.Org elections...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am shocked. Shocked that X.org wrote voting software for themselves that did not count votes.

I'll bet that once they get a couple million lines of code and put over 800 person-years into it, they'll figure out how to count at least half the votes. And, they may need to fold a few small sub-projects into themselves - like for instance, the Federal Election Commission.

Comment

No self-respecting dictatorship will count votes. They will let you vote, but they will chose amounts of votes based on what is better for them.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I am shocked. Shocked that X.org wrote voting software for themselves that did not count votes.

I'll bet that once they get a couple million lines of code and put over 800 person-years into it, they'll figure out how to count at least half the votes. And, they may need to fold a few small sub-projects into themselves - like for instance, the Federal Election Commission.
        Sure, it took millions of lines of code to fix this issue: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorgf...f2359f7f76c7e5

I am the guy who wrote this new website on his spare time because I care about our community and wanted to replace the ill-maintained and very outdated membership website. Given that I did not find anything that was simple and well-testable, I settled for doing it myself properly. The main code fits in less than 1k, and the entire project has a branch coverage rate of 100%.

Sure, it is no guarantee that there will not be any bugs, but at least when updating the dependencies, you can be reasonably sure that not everything will burst into flames. This is more than could be said of the old codebase.

Now, where are your contributions to the community, since you are so ready to spew your venom?

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          No self-respecting dictatorship will count votes. They will let you vote, but they will chose amounts of votes based on what is better for them.
          How is that related to the X.Org Foundation? And speaking about transparency, it is built-in the new website itself, since the tallies are meant to be accessed by everyone. Just need to make a public view for them. I also intend to have it send automatically the results of an election so as no administrator can tamper with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post

How is that related to the X.Org Foundation? And speaking about transparency, it is built-in the new website itself, since the tallies are meant to be accessed by everyone. Just need to make a public view for them. I also intend to have it send automatically the results of an election so as no administrator can tamper with the results.
            Hopefully in no way

Comment

Sure, it took millions of lines of code to fix this issue: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorgf...f2359f7f76c7e5

I am the guy who wrote this new website on his spare time because I care about our community and wanted to replace the ill-maintained and very outdated membership website. Given that I did not find anything that was simple and well-testable, I settled for doing it myself properly. The main code fits in less than 1k, and the entire project has a branch coverage rate of 100%.

Sure, it is no guarantee that there will not be any bugs, but at least when updating the dependencies, you can be reasonably sure that not everything will burst into flames. This is more than could be said of the old codebase.

Now, where are your contributions to the community, since you are so ready to spew your venom?
              It's a fair point. I have no reason to give you or the X.org community any grief. You folks have taken on a huge task and your efforts are admirable. Sorry about the venom.

Comment

I am the guy who wrote this new website on his spare time because I care about our community and wanted to replace the ill-maintained and very outdated membership website.
                This just means that the venom was not aimed at you but to everyone else in Xorg that was ok with the old website.

Comment

Working...
                X