Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PinePhone Linux Smartphone Dev Kit Can Run Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: The PinePhone Linux Smartphone Dev Kit Can Run Wayland's Weston

While on one side of the table is the Purism Librem 5 Linux smartphone on the high-price/high-end side, the Pine64 folks continue working on the PinePhone as a lower-end Linux smartphone. A new video now shows the PinePhone running on Linux 5.0 with Wayland's Weston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Supposed to have physical kill switches for camera, mic, and all networking under the back cover also. And they claim it will be very easy to distro-hop with.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      USB: type C (SlimPort), USB Host, DisplayPort Alternate Mode output
      This is actually cool

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Allwinner A64 SoC with quad-core Cortex-A63
        Should be "quad-core Cortex-A53".

Comment

This looks pretty cool. I'd love to see devices like these with better input devices, something like a GPD win that can make calls would be significantly more useful than an ordinary smartphone. Two displays (for closed and opened layouts), a small keyboard with a gamepad (I'd prefer to use a joystick as a pointing device over a touchscreen, trackpoints are off the table for devices this small). Make sure there's enough IO to make it useful as a machine for hooking into networks, using USB peripherals and so on. Add some docking station that lets you use peripherals you'd use on a desktop and run proper GNU/Linux (maybe with window managers switching on the fly depending on "mode" of the device (so I can use some watered-down interface for touchscreens, and dwm for every other "mode"). Also, separation of the baseband chip is the most important aspect of these, as I'm paranoid about these. Oh, and proper air cooling so it doesn't throttle all the time.

Essentially: GPD Win 2 with WWAN, two displays so it can be used without opening it up, and a docking station.

Ordinary smartphones are next to useless, and besides being able to make calls and write short text messages in a pinch, they're content consumption devices.

Comment

Wasn't there a RPi powered phone years ago?

Comment

if they release it for that prize with plasma mobile, its an instant buy ^^
              I'm eager for a free phone, but i won't pay more than 200 bucks for any phone

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Wasn't there a RPi powered phone years ago?
                Yup it's called the ZeroPhone. The person behind it is still working on it and has finished several iterations of the main board, I believe the latest is the Delta-B.

Website: https://hackaday.io/project/19035-ze...-pi-smartphone
                Newsletter: https://us14.campaign-archive.com/ho...&id=ecd9b74307
                More recent (not the most recent) post showing off new board, apps, etc: https://mailchi.mp/0358f007e43c/stre...munications?e=[UNIQID]

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Should be "quad-core Cortex-A53".
                  What how? Dang!
                  These number typos turn into sleep-consuming nightmares!

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    Ordinary smartphones are next to useless, and besides being able to make calls and write short text messages in a pinch, they're content consumption devices.
                    They're even designing phones with features that make them die faster now -- they call it "Wireless PowerShare"; I call it "Wireless BuddyFuck". If you have a sealed phone with a non-removable battery then all that feature will do is make you use the battery more which will make the battery die faster and it essentially makes you have to buy a new pone faster; ergo you get BuddyFucked every time your dumbass friend needs a wireless charge. One has to be a straight-up fucktard to think that's actually a good or useful feature.

I've had to replace the battery in my LG G3 3 times over 5 years and I'm now down to two batteries that may or may not give me a bad battery warning out of nowhere. Yeah, I use my phones until they're no longer usable...I'd still be using that phone, but when I was welding up the exhaust on my Dad's truck, it slid out of my pocket and he stepped on it.

I just bought an LG V20 for $141 (new old stock) because it's the best phone around with a removable battery, expandable memory, a 1440p or better display, and a camera that isn't total ass...those are the bare minimum features I require a smart phone to have and the V20 is one of the very few phones that has all of those (with an unlockable bootloader and a decent XDA community as well...those are important "features" too).

It sucks that I had to go back to the ass end of 2016 to find a phone worth buying.

Didn't mean to go off on a bit of a rant there

Comment

Working...
                    X