NVIDIA 418.52.05 Linux Driver Brings Vulkan Ray-Tracing To Non-RTX GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 418.52.05 Linux Driver Brings Vulkan Ray-Tracing To Non-RTX GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA 418.52.05 Linux Driver Brings Vulkan Ray-Tracing To Non-RTX GPUs

As we've been expecting from NVIDIA's recent DXR ray-tracing support back-ported to Pascal/Volta GPUs, there's now a NVIDIA Linux driver beta that offers VK_NV_ray_tracing for pre-Turing graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's a list of linux programs taking advantage of this extension:

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      You forgot about the lesser known programs:

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Awesome! Let's play some "".

Comment

Cool, now we have have 3 fps instead of 60

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Awesome! Let's play some "".
            Did you just correct to ""?

Comment

So will this eventually be useful for playing BFV with Wine? AFAIK, that's one of the few things that both has ray tracing and works on Linux.

I have an AMD card so this doesn't even effect me, but I'm curious none-the-less.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                So will this eventually be useful for playing BFV with Wine? AFAIK, that's one of the few things that both has ray tracing and works on Linux.

I have an AMD card so this doesn't even effect me, but I'm curious none-the-less.
                You will have to wait until dx12 is usable for gaming in wine. This all of this RT thing is not available in dx11 but in dx12 AFAIK.

Comment

What about the Quake II remake? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-2-Path-Trace
                  You can experience the great nostalgia of trying to play Quake II on low-end hardware with modem lag!

Comment

Seems to be more of a symbolic gesture, since only the 2080ti can run RT without a sub-60 fps slideshow. I guess they are trying to buffer against the mid-tier with Navi in the wings.

Comment

Working...
                    X