Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropped Linux Kernel Drivers Occasionally See Revival - FDOMAIN Gets Second Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped Linux Kernel Drivers Occasionally See Revival - FDOMAIN Gets Second Chance

Phoronix: Dropped Linux Kernel Drivers Occasionally See Revival - FDOMAIN Gets Second Chance

When drivers get dropped from the Linux kernel it's generally due to hardware being no one cares about anymore that hasn't been produced in many years and the code often falls into disrepair to the point that the only logical way forward is dropping the driver. That happened last year to the "FDOMAIN" driver but as does happen every so often (albeit rare) thanks to the code being still obtainable through Git and the nature of open-source, interested parties can step up and revive the code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those Adaptec AHA-29xx cards were the shiznitt way, way back when. ... I'm old........ ;-)

Comment

I wish the developer good luck with keeping interest and Linux support alive for these older technologies. There must be some folks out there that still use this stuff.

AFAIAC keeping that old hardware around can be a hassle. I could run some of it to this day, but for what purpose? Develop code? Not anymore for me. Generate heat and consume power? That's wasteful.

I have a few boxes worth of assorted "old goods" to sort through and consider taking to a "proper recycler", assuming I can find one. It seems that all parts of the USA support the principles of computing hardware recycling for anyone other than "big business"; "they don't maintain storefronts for the average consumer.

Comment

Working...
      X