Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Brigade Is Running Well On Linux Via Steam Play - Benchmarks With 22 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Brigade Is Running Well On Linux Via Steam Play - Benchmarks With 22 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Cards

Phoronix: Strange Brigade Is Running Well On Linux Via Steam Play - Benchmarks With 22 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Cards

Strange Brigade is a third-person shooter game released last August for Microsoft Windows and game consoles. This game is powered by Rebellion Developments' Asura Engine and while there is no native Linux port, is running well on Linux via Steam Play. Here are benchmarks with twenty-two different graphics cards looking at the current performance on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use my Radeon VII all the time and it always was stable for me, no drawback compared to my RX480.

Comment

amdgpu-ddx TearFree?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        amdgpu-ddx TearFree?
        Micheal test with out of the box settings, which means no TearFree. This game apparently uses Mailbox present mode when vsync is off instead of Immediate, which doesn't work correctly on radv. See: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...e_requests/749

Comment

I have this same issue with Risk of Rain 2 running on SteamPlay on a RX580. Alt-tabbing out and in twice seems to fix it. Also if the compositor dies and then restarts as you start the game, the 60fps bug doesn't show up.

Comment

Michael In case you missed it: Vsync can be forced off in radv mesa-git via MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT_MODE=immediate

I asked for this feature for cases like this, and Samuel kindly implemented it.
            Edit: Well, I hope it runs really unlocked then in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Michael In case you missed it: Vsync can be forced off in radv mesa-git via MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT_MODE=immediate

I asked for this feature for cases like this, and Samuel kindly implemented it.
              Edit: Well, I hope it runs really unlocked then in this case.
              Will try that out and see if it works for Strange Brigade's Radeon behavior... In any case, I've now set the immediate env var by default in PTS - https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...fc3d4605352b95
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Will try that out and see if it works for Strange Brigade's Radeon behavior... In any case, I've now set the immediate env var by default in PTS - https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...fc3d4605352b95
                immediate should fare better. strange brigade has this weird thing where with vsync-off it will use MAILBOX, which is pretty much triple buffering, while IMMEDIATE is the real vsync off. MAILBOX should not ratelimit the rendered frame and give you pretty much near optimal performance (at a slight latency increase compared to IMMEDIATE), but we have some non-ideal combination of game settings + driver specifics that essentially make it rate-limit to vblank frequency. We are working on it.

Comment

Thank you so much Michael for including 1920x1080 !

Comment

Thanks for benchmarks. Today I finished 8th mission in this game. IMO this is really good title. I play it in CO-OP with my wife and all works great. I have Ubuntu 19.04 + Ryzen 5 1600X + Radeon RX580, my wife has Ubuntu 18.04 + Ryzen 5 1500X + Radeon RX470 (Mesa 19.0.2 from "Ubuntu-X" team ppa). On both PC we had to switch from RADV to AMDVLK for this game, because tesselation is broken with RADV. With AMDVLK all works great, so I hope that this issue will be fixed in RADV too in future.

Comment

Working...
                    X