Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Sees Few Changes For Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Sees Few Changes For Linux 5.2

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Sees Few Changes For Linux 5.2

Nouveau DRM maintainer Ben Skeggs at Red Hat has sent in the changes targeting the upcoming Linux 5.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

6 years behind the ball. Locking firmware and drivers is a real kick to the head. Navi can't come soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      6 years behind the ball. Locking firmware and drivers is a real kick to the head. Navi can't come soon enough.
      What's the problem with proprietary drivers? NVIDIA driver works pretty well and BTW, even AMD's open source driver require a non-free signed firmware binary blob to properly work with modern GPUs

Comment

Originally posted by Stefem View Post
        What's the problem with proprietary drivers?
        It is the first TEDx talk of the founder of Free Software movement. Stallman, RMS for short, has changed the world with his vision of freedom for the digital...

Also, when I used NVIDIA it broke every other day because of DKMS/kernel changes/Xorg changes/farts in the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

It is the first TEDx talk of the founder of Free Software movement. Stallman, RMS for short, has changed the world with his vision of freedom for the digital...

Also, when I used NVIDIA it broke every other day because of DKMS/kernel changes/Xorg changes/farts in the wind.
          Not that it's that hard to manually install the NVIDIA driver but if typing few commands scare you I remind that they support DKMS which will handle the recompiling for you with each kernel update and that many distros have repository that contain the NVIDIA driver.

Also, nice video, I bet Stallman would be proud of those non-free binary blob firmware required by AMD...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefem View Post
            Not that it's that hard to manually install the NVIDIA driver but if typing few commands scare you I remind that they support DKMS which will handle the recompiling for you with each kernel update and that many distros have repository that contain the NVIDIA driver.

Also, nice video, I bet Stallman would be proud of those non-free binary blob firmware required by AMD...
            Manually installing shit or using DKMS doesn't matter when the driver 100% breaks with kernel or xorg version changes. But I guess you ignored what I said.

I also didn't mention AMD once in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              Manually installing shit or using DKMS doesn't matter when the driver 100% breaks with kernel or xorg version changes. But I guess you ignored what I said.
              I have been running Nvidias proprietary driver for many years with counting a single breakage (some new hardening feature that needed disabling, nouveau had the same issue AFAIR), compatibility with new xorgs is added very quickly. Just because you repeat your lines doesnt make it more true.

Now I got an AMD card (hoped it would help with wayland & multimonitor), guess what: it does boot faster but is not running stable in games, or providing any other upside. Using the proprietary driver would require going back to a really old kernel. Hello again dualboot =(

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                I have been running Nvidias proprietary driver for many years with counting a single breakage (some new hardening feature that needed disabling, nouveau had the same issue AFAIR), compatibility with new xorgs is added very quickly. Just because you repeat your lines doesnt make it more true.
                All this means is you didn't change to new xorg versions or kernels often. Doesn't invalidate facts and suddenly turn what I said into an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X