Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Wayland vs. X.Org Graphics Benchmarks On GNOME Shell

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Wayland vs. X.Org Graphics Benchmarks On GNOME Shell

In the run up to the Ubuntu 19.04 release I ran various gaming/graphics benchmarks looking at different desktops and X.Org vs. Wayland sessions. Check that article out if interested in the situation while this posting is just some complementary data I did from Fedora Workstation 30 when looking at the graphics performance under GNOME Shell's X.Org and Wayland sessions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Test request: Triangle

Comment

Let me know when you can play 3D games on Wayland with Nvidia. My GTX 1070 is wasted with Wayland with no accelerated Xwayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        "Wayland/XWayland performance is largely comparable to a traditional GNOME X.Org session."

There is a performance hit with games and wrappers cause bugs. No wonder there is zero Xwayland gaming videos in YouTube.
        Did you not read the numbers it down under 1 to 2 frames. of performance hit. Close no Xwayland gaming videos on Youtube is still that capturing on wayland system is still a pain but its not zero videos out there.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Please note I said close to no videos some parties have got capturing on wayland to work and have put up youtube videos of games running under xwayland.

All games as shown in the video on xwayland are show improved min frame rates. Not one game in that video is a native wayland game so xorg vs xwayland even that he says xorg vs wayland.

So interesting enough since end of 2018 those who have been doing the reviews have been saying game on Wayland when the game works due to improved min. Ok you max and average might have dropped a little but not enough to be a problem. Having less absolutely slow frames feels a lot better.

Of course there is room for improvement has games get proper wayland backends and are able to skip the xwayland this is more than the 1-2fps average loss gain on offer.

Comment

Naive question : why is capturing videos a pain on Wayland? Doesn't Gnome shell have integrated capturing?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Naive question : why is capturing videos a pain on Wayland? Doesn't Gnome shell have integrated capturing?

Yes you have screen capture support in Gnome Shell under wayland. But still has the habit of going black screen party way though capture at times just because it felt like it and at times going high CPU load so screwing up game benchmarks again just because it felt like it. There are some random glitches still in there..

Basically it works but you may need to take a few attempts to get the file. Mind you this is not much worse than screen capturing windows 10.

Problem is you go xorg or Windows 7/8.1 due to maturity with OBS and the like you basically get perfect captures every time. Yes you are also seeing a trend of more newer windows gaming videos still being windows 7/8.1 due to easy capture as well. So xorg/wayland split on videos due to capture hell also happens between Windows 7/8.1 vs Windows 10.

Really I hope pipewire does improve seeing the horrible at least come less. At least the complete drop out/black out disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              Let me know when you can play 3D games on Wayland with Nvidia. My GTX 1070 is wasted with Wayland with no accelerated Xwayland support.
              Go and complain to Nvidia then. It's their fault they're not capable of releasing a Wayland-compatible driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                That looking like it will be fixed in Fedora 31.

Comment

That is a benchmark result video, not a gaming video. With Xwayland there is stuttering, bugs, etc and that is why there is zero Xwayland gaming videos and IBM BS continues in the internet.
                  Then make your own.

Comment

That is a benchmark result video, not a gaming video. With Xwayland there is stuttering, bugs, etc and that is why there is zero Xwayland gaming videos and IBM BS continues in the internet.
                    For the record, I play on xwayland (sway), and it is fine for the most part. Yes, recording is immature. There are usually more bugs in native wayland apps than with xwayland (for the ones that default to the latter, for the most part, obviously). But it's usually a pleasant experience, as I have less random issues of applications grabbing the cursor, alt-tab not working, applications corrupting other apps, X crashing, etc.

AFAIK, both wayland (+xwayland) and xorg apps access the GPU in exactly the same way, so I would expect the same performance. THe only thing that could slightly change is flipping/presenting the buffers (AFAIK).
                    I would be more interested in some input lag + display lag test
                    Though it would also be interesting to see some wayland-native benchmarks results.
                    Last edited by M@yeulC; 05 May 2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X