Unigine 2.8 Brings Better Vegetation, Improved Asynchronous Data Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine 2.8 Brings Better Vegetation, Improved Asynchronous Data Streaming

Phoronix: Unigine 2.8 Brings Better Vegetation, Improved Asynchronous Data Streaming

While there are no major games currently shipping that make use of the Unigine 2 engine, the company appears to be seeing great success in the industrial simulation space as they keep making great strides in features for their cross-platform engine. Unigine 2.8 was released this week as the newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will do much for the news. Even the latest version of the superposition benchmark does not run (it crashed) on stock Debian. If it don't run on one of *the* mother distros then it's not of much use.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      Will do much for the news. Even the latest version of the superposition benchmark does not run (it crashed) on stock Debian. If it don't run on one of *the* mother distros then it's not of much use.
      So the latest version of a graphics benchmark doesn't run on an OS designed around old software? You don't say.

The Debian model was fine in the 90s. Technology changes too much for that model to work these days outside of environments that you just do not want changing...like specialized servers, generic office computers...you know, boring stuff.

There's a reason that Suse follows both the Debian model and the Arch model. One is good for the boring stuff, the other is good for desktop users.

If you really want to use Debian for stuff that isn't boring then you should do what debianxfce recommends else just use something like Fedora, Manjaro, or Suse Tumbleweed.

Comment

I had some hopes when i saw them demonstrating a Beriev 200 water bombing aircraft simulator. I confess i know very little about the performances of this engine for stuff like flight simulators.

Comment

That's nice, now Unigine how about you make a AAA RPG like Skyrim with your engine, or go open-source and free to use(not sell), no signup, no approval system nonsense.

Comment

now THAT is some nice scenery - I want that in a game... and I want a graphics card that can render it (preferably ray traced)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So the latest version of a graphics benchmark doesn't run on an OS designed around old software? You don't say.

The Debian model was fine in the 90s. Technology changes too much for that model to work these days outside of environments that you just do not want changing...like specialized servers, generic office computers...you know, boring stuff.

There's a reason that Suse follows both the Debian model and the Arch model. One is good for the boring stuff, the other is good for desktop users.

If you really want to use Debian for stuff that isn't boring then you should do what debianxfce recommends else just use something like Fedora, Manjaro, or Suse Tumbleweed.
              Get real. The only "old" software in Debian is the 'stable' branch. If you run on the 'testing' branch you are very much up to date. For your info 'stable' is the boring, but rock solid model. 'testing' is the rolling and fairly rock solid model (you don't update when the package manager tells you things break , you wait a couple of days instead). and 'unstable' is - you guessed it - unstable. Debian has all you wish - super stable, updated or bleeding edge - you choose!

And please just leave debianxfce alone and let him do his own thing just like we all do things our own way. I don't want a frustrating setup - I want something that works - and because Debian comes in different flavors I can enjoy a stable system and updated software if I want some days or even some weeks which is for me the perfect setup!

Comment

Get real. The only "old" software in Debian is the 'stable' branch. If you run on the 'testing' branch you are very much up to date. For your info 'stable' is the boring, but rock solid model. 'testing' is the rolling and fairly rock solid model (you don't update when the package manager tells you things break , you wait a couple of days instead). and 'unstable' is - you guessed it - unstable. Debian has all you wish - super stable, updated or bleeding edge - you choose!

And please just leave debianxfce alone and let him do his own thing just like we all do things our own way. I don't want a frustrating setup - I want something that works - and because Debian comes in different flavors I can enjoy a stable system and updated software if I want some days or even some weeks which is for me the perfect setup!
                I know how Debian works. I used some flavor of Debian for my first 7 years as a Linux user...usually Siduction or LMDE...

Debian Stable still uses Mesa 13.0.6, testing gives you 18.3.4, unstable gives you 18.3.6, experimental gives you 19.0.2. Manjaro stable is Mesa 19.0.3.

I didn't realize that adding a PPA and using a custom kernel was a frustrating setup. I was also agreeing with what debianxfce does. I'd probably do the same or similar things if I still ran Debian since I used to do similar things way back when when I ran Siduction or LMDE. Instead of doing all that stuff, I just decided to only run distributions that contain the software I need by default.

Also, you never mentioned what branch of Debian you ran. Most of us will just assume you mean Stable unless it's otherwise mentioned...just like how I assume that other people will assume that I run Manjaro with their Stable repository when I mention using it. It's easy to blame "boring" Debian if you don't mention otherwise.

Also, also -- hard to call it "rock solid" if a common benchmark doesn't run.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I know how Debian works. I used some flavor of Debian for my first 7 years as a Linux user...usually Siduction or LMDE...

Debian Stable still uses Mesa 13.0.6, testing gives you 18.3.4, unstable gives you 18.3.6, experimental gives you 19.0.2. Manjaro stable is Mesa 19.0.3.

I didn't realize that adding a PPA and using a custom kernel was a frustrating setup. I was also agreeing with what debianxfce does. I'd probably do the same or similar things if I still ran Debian since I used to do similar things way back when when I ran Siduction or LMDE. Instead of doing all that stuff, I just decided to only run distributions that contain the software I need by default.

Also, you never mentioned what branch of Debian you ran. Most of us will just assume you mean Stable unless it's otherwise mentioned...just like how I assume that other people will assume that I run Manjaro with their Stable repository when I mention using it. It's easy to blame "boring" Debian if you don't mention otherwise.

Also, also -- hard to call it "rock solid" if a common benchmark doesn't run.
                  So in other words - Debian testing (which soon becomes stable) is quite up to date then which I said... anyway...

Ok, when I refer to non-frustrating setups I usually mean stock debian Stable without any PPA's og other weird sources.list - usually all I need is in the repos, but that was not really the point of my argument in the first place so let's recap a bit.

My point was that when someone writes a 3d engine such as Unigine it would be a smart move of them to make sure it ran out of the box on the mother Distros such as Debian and RedHat. They are the base for almost anything out there so therefore anything that runs on a *stable* Debian or RedHat *should* in theory run on all the derivatives as well. That was my point!

And regarding debianxfce - usually nobody here agrees with the poor guy and he sadly has reached the point where he is attacked "by default" and rightfully so at least in most cases I must admit. I am not better myself as I also have an aggressive tone against him. I am very much against code of conducts which is designed to limit honest direct language. That does not mean that one can't try to be a bit nice to people every now and then, and that is why I jumped in to "defend" him a bit as what I interpreted as a mean spirited comment (which it was not) was uncalled for.

Comment

My point was that when someone writes a 3d engine such as Unigine it would be a smart move of them to make sure it ran out of the box on the mother Distros such as Debian and RedHat. They are the base for almost anything out there so therefore anything that runs on a *stable* Debian or RedHat *should* in theory run on all the derivatives as well. That was my point!
                    Unless backported, they're (likely both Red Hat and Debian) missing a lot of Vulkan extensions, AMDGPU features (kernel and Mesa), OpenGL core profile is 4.4 instead of 4.5. Their next stable versions will be where a lot of us posting here are now.

If you read on their site it says
                    Video Card / DirectX Version All graphic cards supporting DirectX 11 or OpenGL 4.5+
                    IIRC, that means at least Mesa 18.3 that brought 4.5 compat support for AMD users (or earlier for people using AMDGPU-Pro).

Comment

Working...
                    X