GNU Linux-libre 5.1-gnu Released As The Kernel Continues To Be Deblobbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 5.1-gnu Released As The Kernel Continues To Be Deblobbed

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 5.1-gnu Released As The Kernel Continues To Be Deblobbed

Hot off the release of Linux 5.1 from last night, the Free Software Foundation Latin America team has released GNU Linux-libre 5.1-gnu as their sanitized kernel that strips out support for loading binary-only microcode/firmware files, the ability to load binary-only kernel modules, and related code they deem supporting "non-free" software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I presume the sole user of this kernel is Richard Stallman.

I don't quite understand why they distribute tarballs and even have their own website.

A github repo with https://www.fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/soft...pts/deblob-5.1 would more than suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Another one here. I happen to have a PC which doesn't require proprietary blobs.

Comment

I don't quite understand why they distribute tarballs and even have their own website.

A github repo with https://www.fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/soft...pts/deblob-5.1 would more than suffice.
        I did use it as well quite successful, it's not the fault of this project that more and more hardware vendors lock everything behind firmware. I'm happy that this project exists!

Comment

I really have never understood some of the Linux communities severe hatred towards any form of closed software. Its a choice whether a company or individual wants to open or close source their software and Linux claims to be all about choice... except this one.

At least in the recent decade or so more moderate voices have become louder in the Linux echo system and we can now typically run our videocards and other hardware at full speed with the manufacturer supported code!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            I really have never understood some of the Linux communities severe hatred towards any form of closed software. Its a choice whether a company or individual wants to open or close source their software and Linux claims to be all about choice... except this one.
            It's an old question: the ability to steal your freedom can still be considered a freedom? Our answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

At least in the recent decade or so more moderate voices have become louder in the Linux echo system and we can now typically run our videocards and other hardware at full speed with the manufacturer supported code!
              The "libre" people think you shouldn't have the choice between closed and open source.

Comment

I use it on machines with Debian, openSUSE, and Trisquel. Runs better for me, less clutter. I don't see why anyone would run a hybrid proprietary mashup of a kernel unless they absolutely had to.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  That's a pretty unusual quoting style. Are you on mobile? (if so, you can find the quote option by rotating your device or tapping on the empty gap after the like button)

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                    Another one here. I happen to have a PC which doesn't require proprietary blobs.
                    Shiba
                    Can you please share the details about the hardware? I would prefer to run libre GNU/Linux distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X