Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces "Windows Terminal" As Linux-esque Inspired Terminal For Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Announces "Windows Terminal" As Linux-esque Inspired Terminal For Windows 10

Phoronix: Microsoft Announces "Windows Terminal" As Linux-esque Inspired Terminal For Windows 10

Microsoft announced from their Build 2019 conference this morning Windows Terminal as the newest Linux-inspired feature coming to Windows 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No links in the article.

Post scriptum: I will never get used to backslashes in my paths and slashes for switches........
    Last edited by tildearrow; 06 May 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile Konsole got splits at last.

Comment

oh, nice.
        I wonder that with so many linux features coming from the linux to windows how many will see a point in changing to linux on desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          oh, nice.
          I wonder that with so many linux features coming from the linux to windows how many will see a point in changing to linux on desktop?
          A what point does Microsoft call it a day and switch to Linux wholesale?

Comment

Nothing that has emojis can be taken serious!...

Comment

Cmd is bad because it works like it's a piece of shit from the 1980's with no upgrades and PowerShell is bad because it's only good for sysadmins. So for 99% of windows users there wasn't a good built-in terminal, is this one?

Comment

I have actually already used ssh from command prompt several times now.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                  I have actually already used ssh from command prompt several times now.
                  Have you tried resizing the window? Totally breaks over here whenever I do it. I usually end up with scrollbars where there shouldn’t be and it doesn’t let me resize the window. It may be related to maximizing the window, it’s been a while since I’ve done it.

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    oh, nice.
                    It's time to stop seeing MS as just the company behind Windows Desktop OS. MS just isn't doing the classic Windows-Dancemoves anymore...
                    • MS is earning a lot of money with linux based solutions, for example in Azure
                    • They're also the company owning and operating Github
                    • MS products like Exchange aren't fully configurable via GUI anymore, the GUI features are just a subset of Management Functions, and the GUI is emitting Powershell Macros doing the real backend magic. Read: If you want full administrative capabilities you have to use Powershell. This hat gotten more 'unixy' over the last couple of versions.
                    • Products like Office migrate into the cloud, see Office 365.
                    • MS SQL Server for Linux is a supported product nowadays
                    There are other things going on at MS, showing a bigger change in strategy and direction. The classic desktop isn't the whole focus anymore. They're still earning money there, but they preparing for a potential future without their classic closed ecosystem business. If the Desktop gets lost some day, it won't kill them. If there is still the linux-windows Desktop Battle, it's loosing economical importance day by day.

To answer the question: I think the party will not be a big one, even if millions of people would switch to Desktop Linux someday. In fact I don't think that will happen over night because of a new Terminal App or other minor features get ported to Windows.

And I think it might be the opposite way: If a community is welcome and open, publishing new and broad features, like MS does these days, you attract more people to it. You always want to get the best featureset, and WIndows is evolving noticeable these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X