Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 To Offer Faster I/O Performance, Native Docker Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 To Offer Faster I/O Performance, Native Docker Containers

Phoronix: Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 To Offer Faster I/O Performance, Native Docker Containers

In addition to the Windows Terminal app, Microsoft announced from their Build 2019 conference that Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) will be coming out this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"based on a linux kernel" doesn't make sense, unless they mean ABI compatibility.

And why call it WSL '2' ?

Comment

Microsoft, please open source this very compatibility layer.

Comment

linux,colinux,virtualization,kernel,hosting

Really do have to wonder if Microsoft has given up and decide just to go the colinux route.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankL View Post
          "based on a linux kernel" doesn't make sense, unless they mean ABI compatibility.

And why call it WSL '2' ?
          Could be a Hyper-V solution with a Linux kernel running on it. Would certainly have faster I/O. WSL is really slow as it is today.

Comment

The other big change with WSL2 is offering native support for Docker. This will allow Docker containers to run natively on Windows without needing any extra software.
            Just Docker, or any Linux namespaces-based containerization technology?

I assume the latter is too good to be true...
            Last edited by intelfx; 06 May 2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Could be a Hyper-V solution with a Linux kernel running on it. Would certainly have faster I/O. WSL is really slow as it is today.
              They would also achieve faster I/O by using a block device.

Comment

How about putting in the effort needed to mainline needed support code so people can compile Linux to run on their Windows boxes?

Oh, wait. Microsoft completely ignored the userspace Linux thing and reinvented the wheel.

Comment

According to this, WSL 2 is actually going to use a real Linux kernel rather than try to mimic it with a subsystem on the NT kernel. Windows becomes a Linux distribution.

Edit: It will also use virtualization.

So the solution seems similar to how Google is adding Linux support to Chrome OS, except that the user can choose the GNU userspace (like Ubuntu Windows Store edition).

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...-with-windows/
                  Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 06 May 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If they allow you to load kernel modules, this could mean Darling for WSL2!

Comment

Working...
                    X