Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Details On Microsoft's WSL2 Implementation For Running Linux Binaries On Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On Microsoft's WSL2 Implementation For Running Linux Binaries On Windows 10

Phoronix: More Details On Microsoft's WSL2 Implementation For Running Linux Binaries On Windows 10

Earlier this week Microsoft announced Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) as a more performant implementation of this Linux binary compatibility layer for Windows. Following that news, during their annual Build Conference, was a more detailed presentation on the WSL2 architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reminds me of IBM/RH zLinux.

I would want to see how the Linux hosts appears from a network perspective. Is it riding on the Hyper-V or they patching it through like an old switchboard.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      Is it riding on the Hyper-V or they patching it through like an old switchboard.
      It's just a Hyper-V Linux VM for those who didn't have the wherewithal to setup a Linux VM before.

I don't look forward to the code that comes from the users of this project.

Comment

A (forced) corporate windows user, who mercifully has access to WSL, wonders:

a) Will it bypass Windows' ridiculous global file locks. Can I please erase sh1t even if some stone-age Windows cmd instance is pointed at the directory.
        b) Can it intelligently handle the CR/LF dog's breakfast.
        c) May I please auto-mount network drives within WSL without writing a script requiring my sudo password that I have to run every time, otherwise I don't see my files.
        d) Will WSL now run Postgres, please?
        e) Kindly dump backslashes to that when I move between DOS boxes and WSL, which I have to do constantly, I don't have to instantly re-muscle-memory my fingers instantly.
        f) Could Windows CMD not just understand ANSI escape sequences already? Or do I have to install some python hack (colorama) to get both terminals to work the same on the same box?
        g) What exactly is the problem with simply replacing stone-age DOS, which underpins Windows, with the Linux kernel? Just port the window manager over! You know it makes sense.

Ultimately, if you want Linux, get Linux. I have too many problems with 99th percentile edge cases which bring the whole show crashing down, for WSL to be worth it. Cygwin is actually almost better because it doesn't try to pretend to be full-stack Linux.
        Last edited by vegabook; 09 May 2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

There was a new player on the linux-loader market, grub and syslinux has to compete against windows until now.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            I would want to see how the Linux hosts appears from a network perspective. Is it riding on the Hyper-V or they patching it through like an old switchboard.
            Have just finished watching the video. In this first implementation of WSL2 they will have different IP's but MS are looking into more convergent technologies using things like namespaces and a shared loopback for future releases.
            Last edited by Slithery; 09 May 2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I notice that the network file protocol employed between WSL2 and Windows host is 9p, where Windows is a client and WSL2 virtual machine is server; I wonder if Microsoft will support virtio protocol for that. That would be neat, I've been using 9p for my Linux guests running on KVM for years. Although that opens further questions on mapping of user ids.

Comment

Kernel "tuned by Microsoft for their purposes" probably means "all kinds of Telemetry spy-ware inserted to send your data to the C&C-server in Redmond".

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  Kernel "tuned by Microsoft for their purposes" probably means "all kinds of Telemetry spy-ware inserted to send your data to the C&C-server in Redmond".
                  Microsoft violating GPL detected! I'm pretty sure they're not gonna contribute the telemetry bits.

Comment

Umm. M$. Can I have your kernel source tree and all the modifications you have made please?

Comment

Working...
                    X