Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

Phoronix: Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

Not only does Intel's Clear Linux distribution offer stellar out of the box performance, but they seem to be making it increasingly user/desktop friendly at this stage. There's been new GUI installer work as well as the launching of their own support forums...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That installer is definitely a surprisingly huge improvement over the console installer. Good job!

Comment

finally a better installer. i wonder if you can install it with wireless network only. i know that text installer had no way to set the wifi network a few months ago and the live image never work for me. it use to get stuck after starting the installation without any error. does it support other DE than GNOME?

Comment

Wishlist:

1) native Chromium + VAAPI build (LTO, PGO, + other possible Clear Linux optimizations)
        2) everything media related should just work (preferably out of the box, or make it super easy to get the needed packages if there are legal issues preventing that)
        3) As Ikey works for them again, is any more work on Steam integration incoming? His repo hasn't been updated for a while. Gaming is a big driver for new desktop users and that suits Clear LInux performance oriented approach very well. Any work which furthers the gaming experience on Linux is very welcome.
        4) Nice to have: An easy way to build the kernel and other performance sensitive packages from source (with Clear Linux patches applied) and let me specify my own custom compiler flags plus keeping these packages up-to-date.
        5) Offer several architecture-dependant builds for popular CPUs (next to the generic build and also for AMDs Ryzen+).

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          does it support other DE than GNOME?
          Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          wintel conspiracy uses gnome3 to prevent the Linux desktop success.
          https://clearlinux.org/software/bundle/xfce4-desktop (and I haven't looked into other DEs)

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            finally a better installer. i wonder if you can install it with wireless network only. i know that text installer had no way to set the wifi network a few months ago and the live image never work for me. it use to get stuck after starting the installation without any error. does it support other DE than GNOME?
            Xfce and KDE work, I've personally used them on Clear, not sure off hand about others.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OK, so suppose today I'm buying a new laptop. Should I get an AMD processor that won't need Spectre/Meltdown mitigations, or do I go for Intel on Clear Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                A laptop with the Vega APU is the best choice because of the best graphics chip. Dgpus in laptops cause more problems. Then you can use my distribution, I have removed sadomasochistic code from the non debug 1000 Hz timer AMD wip kernel. My distribution uses Padoka ppa mesa git too.
                I don't really care about the GPU, though.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
                  OK, so suppose today I'm buying a new laptop. Should I get an AMD processor that won't need Spectre/Meltdown mitigations, or do I go for Intel on Clear Linux?
                  As far as I understand it - the clear linux os will run fine on any AMD hardware - so choose the hardware you want and then choose a distro to run on it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    As far as I understand it - the clear linux os will run fine on any AMD hardware - so choose the hardware you want and then choose a distro to run on it.
                    Sure, I just thought Clear is more optimized for Intel.

Comment

Working...
                    X