No announcement yet.

Solaris/Illumos-Based OmniOS Ships New LTS Release With Better Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris/Illumos-Based OmniOS Ships New LTS Release With Better Hardware Support

Phoronix: Solaris/Illumos-Based OmniOS Ships New LTS Release With Better Hardware Support

While open-source operating system projects derived from the former "OpenSolaris" code now maintained by the Illumos community aren't exactly prolific these days, one of the projects that does continue cranking through and seeing commercial success as well is OmniOS. OmniOS r151030 was released this week in its "Community Edition" flavor with various improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find ,of the box ,Soraris/ish SMB server's perfomance is better than Win2012/16 . With windows 7/10 clients. Windows needs significant tweaking of smb and network, to saturate 10gbe like the unix did it. Add to this the dtrace framework and scripts which even a " noncoding " monkey like me can use with gretat success of troubleshooting.

Comment

Omni OS is really interesting. Bhyve, KVM, and LX Zones on ZFS. it's like a super container on metal platform.

Comment

Have used OmniOS for my AD domain-integrated file server for a year and a half now. Coming from FreeBSD and testing with ZoL. Never have I seen a more elegant and stable OS. No *nix system is more at home in a domain environment. ZFS commands like "sharesmb=on" and "sharenfs=on" work like they're supposed to without reliance on 3rd party tools. Also, for domain/AD compatibility it absolutely crushes Samba. Windows user File history works just like connecting to a Windows server, except the file system is ZFS, so you can dedup and take low-penalty snapshots of the datasets - perfection in my mind. Can edit the ACLs on my shares using mmc shared folders snap-in. 3rd party tool support is greatly improved with Joyent's pkgsrc port for SmartOS. I tried refs before moving towards ZFS, was kind of a joke (SAD).

Comment

Working...
        X