Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MuQSS Patches Updated For The Linux 5.1 Kernel

Phoronix: MuQSS Patches Updated For The Linux 5.1 Kernel

Con Kolivas has posted his latest patches that re-base his MuQSS scheduler to the new Linux 5.1 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i have not been using this patchset since the rename, anything interesting changed in terms of resposiveness?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      i have not been using this patchset since the rename, anything interesting changed in terms of resposiveness?
      No, but I have been using the PDS patchset with 4.17-4.19 and the BMQ patchset with the 5.x kernels and my games are pretty responsive with either. I know that is extremely anecdotal, but it's all I've got to comment on in regards to any of the newer scheduler patches.

That said, I do have it readily available to compile...just don't have any benchmarking software installed unless what games include counts

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

No, but I have been using the PDS patchset with 4.17-4.19 and the BMQ patchset with the 5.x kernels and my games are pretty responsive with either. I know that is extremely anecdotal, but it's all I've got to comment on in regards to any of the newer scheduler patches.

That said, I do have it readily available to compile...just don't have any benchmarking software installed unless what games include counts
        It's also extremely hard to quantify input latency. One person's "acceptable" is another's "awful". There's few if any good tests for input responsiveness and most tests for latency deal with real time latency rather than immediacy of response. One's relevant to embedded developers, the other's relevant to UI and game developers. Normal benchmarks like you see here on Phoronix deal with overall performance, but not whether or not a UI or game's responses make the UI usable and a game playable or not.

Comment

PDS had slighter better performance than MuQSS around 4.18, but the new BMQ is not that great from my testing. I know it could be considered "early development", so all credit to that.. but there is and have been quite a bit of problems with BMQ vs. the old PDS code, so comparing to -ck patchset (not only MuQSS), i preferred this through 5.0, and now with 5.1.

The differences is not extreme anyway, so i guess its up to whatever config you use, and the game in question perhaps.

Comment

Working...
          X