Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Has Been Recently Ramping Up Their FreeBSD Support

Phoronix: Intel Has Been Recently Ramping Up Their FreeBSD Support

While Intel's open-source Linux support is largely stellar and was a big focus of this week's Open-Source Technology Summit in Washington, their FreeBSD support isn't nearly as polished but over the past roughly year and a half they've been establishing a FreeBSD team and working towards feature parity and supporting critical functionality for their customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good. The better FreeBSD is, the better it competes with Linux. The better the competition between them, the better they both get.

Oh hell, its a free opensource OS, if it ever becomes better than Linux for what I do with it, I'd switch

Comment

This is great news! It's good to know you can rely on a hardware maker for your computing needs without being stuck to one OS family. Now if Intel would also open source their enterprise-grade hardware that would be amazing. My good old Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II controller is close to useless, considering the latest available drivers are only available for operating systems that will reach EOL next year.

So yay for software RAID! \o/ But hopefully Intel will do something about their server technologies. It would certainly place them way ahead of ARM and others.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
        Oh hell, its a free opensource OS, if it ever becomes better than Linux for what I do with it, I'd switch
        Yes, but it has stupid non competitive license.

Comment

Working...
        X