Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetBSD 8.1 RC1 Released With MDS Mitigations, Option To Turn Off SMT/HT, Driver Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 8.1 RC1 Released With MDS Mitigations, Option To Turn Off SMT/HT, Driver Updates

Phoronix: NetBSD 8.1 RC1 Released With MDS Mitigations, Option To Turn Off SMT/HT, Driver Updates

The first and only anticipated release candidate for NetBSD 8.1 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I turned off hyperthreading in the BIOS on my i3 laptop a few days ago, haven't noticed any difference at all yet.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      I turned off hyperthreading in the BIOS on my i3 laptop a few days ago, haven't noticed any difference at all yet.
      This will mostly depend on your workload. It seems that HT is generally a win with multi-threaded loads these days. I prefer to disable threads (in Linux) as my computer runs, because that way I don't need to reboot, and I assume the majority of the security gain is there. Since we're talking about Intel chips, I still doubt that they're remotely secure, at best they feel like so to the general public. Who knows what black hats managed to stir up these days with plenty of PoCs and lots of possibilities to abuse design mistakes.

Comment

I had firefox build time double over disabling hyperthreading on a soft raid setup. Had to switch to hard raid and it still took a big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

I had firefox build time double over disabling hyperthreading on a soft raid setup. Had to switch to hard raid and it still took a big hit.
          Are you building Nightly? I've noticed that from one build to the next can be extraordinarily different in terms of length of time to build.

Comment

Are you building Nightly? I've noticed that from one build to the next can be extraordinarily different in terms of length of time to build.
            Same version between build attempts.

Comment

Working...
            X