No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Benchmarks On AMD EPYC - Big Speed-Ups Over RHEL7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Benchmarks On AMD EPYC - Big Speed-Ups Over RHEL7

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Benchmarks On AMD EPYC - Big Speed-Ups Over RHEL7

Since the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 at the start of May we've been running various benchmarks of this latest enterprise Linux platform. Our tests to date have been with Intel Xeon hardware where it's been performing well and a nice speed-up over RHEL 7 with modern Xeon Scalable CPUs. Similarly, AMD EPYC is also much faster with RHEL 8.0 thanks to the much newer Linux kernel, compiler, and other software updates.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu is up and kicking..

Comment

Looks like Clear is optimized too rigidly to Intel, to its detriment on AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Looks like Clear is optimized too rigidly to Intel, to its detriment on AMD.
        Intel's distro is optimized for Intel's hardware? Color me surprised.

Comment

Yikes, these results are all over the place. Seems all of these distros have more optimizations to do (though, Clear has no obligation whatsoever).

Also, wouldn't SUSE be worth including in these results? I thought they were relatively close with AMD, so maybe they might see further optimizations that a distro like Ubuntu might not see.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Yikes, these results are all over the place. Seems all of these distros have more optimizations to do (though, Clear has no obligation whatsoever).

Also, wouldn't SUSE be worth including in these results? I thought they were relatively close with AMD, so maybe they might see further optimizations that a distro like Ubuntu might not see.
            15.0 vs 15.1 tests are coming in own article complementing this data set.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

15.0 vs 15.1 tests are coming in own article complementing this data set.
              Was this build of Clear Linux the new vanilla kernel (with the AMD settings stripped off)?

The text in the spec compare graphic was too small to read so I couldn't tell.

With them rolling out nightly, it wasn't clear to me when they were doing this.

Comment

Really happy to see these performance gains, both for Red Hat and AMD. 2019 and 2020 are going to be great years for the datacenters and cloud platforms out there.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

So put current AMD and Intel offerings neck to neck (with mitigation) and let us see where they stand.

Comment

Nice thanks for sharing, wonder how RHEL 7/CentOS 7 would fair with ELRepo 5.1.2+ Linux Kernel ?

Comment

Working...
                    X