Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More HDR Display Bits On The Way For The Linux 5.3 Kernel

Phoronix: More HDR Display Bits On The Way For The Linux 5.3 Kernel

For years there have been open-source developers working on plumbing support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) displays into the Linux desktop stack and it looks like the Direct Rendering Manager driver support is slowly but surely getting there...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any LCD mode which would allow for the following things...

- low light leak on black (VA does this)
    - high density (VA doesn't allow for this)

...so we can get rid of weird stuff like "HDR" (specifically, the per-zone intensity)?

On an unrelated note, I wish HDR songs were released more often...

Comment

come on AMD...

Comment

@schnerl : are intel still pushing Atom and other such set-top-box chipsets ?

(I haven't heard much about the serie lately).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          AMD is smarter than intel and is not pushing hdr.
          To properly enjoy HDR you need a good monitor that fully supports it. Here are the displays gamers, content creators, and enthusiasts should look out for.

"All the monitors above are good picks, but don’t expect them to match today’s HDR-compatible HDTVs. PC displays aren’t bright enough to make the most of HDR. You’ll see more detail than you would in a non-HDR monitor, but extremely bright scenes will still look washed out, and colors won’t pop as they do on a quality television."

Enabling hdr decreases fps in gaming. Intel is not interested of fps, but televisions.
          HDR monitors are compatible with the BT.2020 color specification which does color-accuracy a huge favor. UHD BDs and 4K streaming services are using this.

Comment

To properly enjoy HDR you need a good monitor that fully supports it. Here are the displays gamers, content creators, and enthusiasts should look out for.

"
            All the monitors above are good picks, but don’t expect them to match today’s HDR-compatible HDTVs. PC displays aren’t bright enough to make the most of HDR. You’ll see more detail than you would in a non-HDR monitor, but extremely bright scenes will still look washed out, and colors won’t pop as they do on a quality television.
            "

Enabling hdr decreases fps in gaming. Intel is not interested of fps, but televisions.
            Some people hook up their PCs to a TV to play games on. Not to mention, they make console hardware, where HDR is kind of a big deal. They should care about this, because it directly affects them.

Comment

We are discussing of Linux device drivers here. PS4 uses a BSD variant and Xbox uses windows. Very few gaming people hook their gaming PC to a TV because of slower response times and longer distance of view.
              It's still quite an industry. Look at Steam Link and all couch gaming peripherals for PCs. I despise of using LCD TVs (only decent CRT displays to stay accurate to how the game was played back in the day are fine with me) for gaming myself, but my opinion on them won't affect what others do. I guess adding such support to Linux makes little sense because even with GPLv2 the license isn't permissive enough to be used on consoles, but it's a shame that they won't try to get parity with what they provide on the PS4 family of devices as well as the XBOne.

Comment

What all still needs HDR support so that HDR works on the Linux desktop? Once the core DRM layer and Intel+AMD drivers (kernel and mesa?) have support, are we still waiting on X11, Wayland, and Kwin/Mutter/<insert compositor>?
                Last edited by Space Heater; 26 May 2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

What about the professional photographers?

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

HDR monitors are compatible with the BT.2020 color specification which does color-accuracy a huge favor. UHD BDs and 4K streaming services are using this.
                    No monitor (or TV) can show the full BT.2020 color space. What you mean is that they fullfill the VESA HDR specs which says they should be able to show most of the DCI-P3 (which is bigger than sRGB, but smaller than BT.2020).

Comment

Working...
                    X