Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logic Supply's Karbon 300: A Well Built, Extremely Durable Linux PC For Demanding Low-Power Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Supply's Karbon 300: A Well Built, Extremely Durable Linux PC For Demanding Low-Power Environments

Phoronix: Logic Supply's Karbon 300: A Well Built, Extremely Durable Linux PC For Demanding Low-Power Environments

Back in March we wrote about industrial-grade PC manufacturer Logic Supply announcing the Karbon 300 as a compact and rugged Ubuntu/Windows system. Fast forward to last month, Logic Supply sent over the now-shipping Karbon 300 system to put it through our tests at Phoronix. This passively-cooled PC has passed our tests after weeks of benchmarking and is running great.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would hardly call anything that runs Windows or Ubuntu 'rugged', but hey... The hardware seems ok!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Given the title announces the box to be well built, I was expecting at least a view of what's inside. Or is it too rugged to be opened?
      Last edited by JanW; 03 June 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I guess this looks good for what it is, and the fact that it's possible to get it with something else than Windows is neat. For the majority of people this thing is impractical, though, and it only makes sense for certain applications.

I wonder whether addition of Wi-Fi antennas makes it more fragile, connectors for these are normally quite delicate, and I can see some issues popping up because of having these ports on the board.

Comment

For some reason, that reminds me of a Oki external print server from the 1990's. It's not a bad thing. Just made me flash back to days of underpaid/disrespected sysadmin/network janitor suffering in IT.

On an unrelated sidenote, please don't work in IT in the medical field. They still think IT is tantamount to flushing ass juice down sewer pipes and connecting a light bulb to a switch on the wall, with commiserate forethought, security planning, and pay. That's it. Flashback concluded. TTFN.

Comment

Does it run off a 12V DC power supply?
            Edit: Yes it does, and it's very relaxed about voltages too Perfect for the survivalist geek.
            Last edited by Etherman; 03 June 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Can the PoE power the device, or only power other devices? I like the dual DP ports, the 8-bit DIO. It looks very neat and I'm sure there are tons of situations where this will be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I guess this looks good for what it is, and the fact that it's possible to get it with something else than Windows is neat. For the majority of people this thing is impractical, though, and it only makes sense for certain applications.

I wonder whether addition of Wi-Fi antennas makes it more fragile, connectors for these are normally quite delicate, and I can see some issues popping up because of having these ports on the board.
                These things are usually mounted on Din rails, inside an electrical cabinet of a bigger machine or industrial system. You can see the two screw holes for the din rail mounting attachment in the side pic in the article page, where you see also the torx screws and the model sticker.

This below is an example of a similar mini-PC mounted on a Din rail

This is the natural environment where you can find them (not in this picture though), an opened industrial electric control panel.

Comment

Michael
                  This is an interesting field as a whole. I'm in the automation business and tests, benchmarks, reviews are really hard to find if at all. So I would really appreciate more tests and information if you can get your hands on something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
                    Michael
                    This is an interesting field as a whole. I'm in the automation business and tests, benchmarks, reviews are really hard to find if at all. So I would really appreciate more tests and information if you can get your hands on something like this.
                    Please then let the folks know at Logic Supply, CompuLab, etc, that you appreciate seeing the reviews/benchmarks on Phoronix. Or for other companies that you would appreciate seeing independent reviews/benchmarks. That helps a lot in being able to get access to the hardware is if the company knows the reviews are useful. Thanks,.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X