Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.22 Released With Improvements Around Merge Handling, Other Small Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.22 Released With Improvements Around Merge Handling, Other Small Enhancements

Phoronix: Git 2.22 Released With Improvements Around Merge Handling, Other Small Enhancements

Git 2.22 was released today as the newest release of this highly popular distributed revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

@skevvy421
      Looks funny but what is trying to say, that using git is difficult?

Comment

skeevy420 I legit laughed out loud in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          @skevvy421
          Looks funny but what is trying to say, that using git is difficult?
          That you can take two forks of a project, try to merge them back together, and end up with a fustercluck.*

I just thought it was funny and somewhat relevant since this update has merge handling improvements.

*I felt that way with the AMD kernel last week when I tried to merge their 19.10 kernel (their newest one with KCL) with 4.18.20. Their latest version with KCL is 4.18.0. I ended up creating a patch from AMD and upstream 4.18.0 since that is easy enough, applied that to 4.18.0, and started going down the line with 4.18.x patches...but somewhere around 4.18.4 or 4.18.5 I started running into parts where patches don't apply cleanly due to KCL/AMDGPU differences...simply beyond my skills and out of my league to try to fix from there...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That you can take two forks of a project, try to merge them back together, and end up with a fustercluck.*

I just thought it was funny and somewhat relevant since this update has merge handling improvements.

*I felt that way with the AMD kernel last week when I tried to merge their 19.10 kernel (their newest one with KCL) with 4.18.20. Their latest version with KCL is 4.18.0. I ended up creating a patch from AMD and upstream 4.18.0 since that is easy enough, applied that to 4.18.0, and started going down the line with 4.18.x patches...but somewhere around 4.18.4 or 4.18.5 I started running into parts where patches don't apply cleanly due to KCL/AMDGPU differences...simply beyond my skills and out of my league to try to fix from there...
            That's barely git fault though. At least in git it's possible to squash or rebase stuff to help merging such incompatible changes. Good luck with that in svn for instance (tree conflicts).
            Last edited by reavertm; 08 June 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X