Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Adds Wayland HiDPI Support

Phoronix: SDL2 Adds Wayland HiDPI Support

The ever important Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) can now handle HiDPI window scaling under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not about Fedora or Ubuntu. It's about compositors. The benefit of Xorg (despite all of its mess) - everyone works on the same thing, so efforts are pooled. In Wayland's world - everyone is for themselves, because all the burden is on compositors to implement core system features. That's why things are so excruciatingly slow with switch to Wayland. DEs are still basically not ready, and modern features take years to materialize.

For Mutter, KWin, Sway and etc. it would be good if the amount of non shared effort was reduced.
    Last edited by shmerl; 12 June 2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

This is really good news. One step closer to having acceptable fractional scaling support. I hope more steam games pick up more recent versions of SDL (or use the runtime one to begin with) so we can use the wayland backend.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        It’s all about Fedora and Ubuntu. They bring the developers.
        Bring where? Fedora is mostly focused on Gnome. Ubuntu as well lately? So how for example do they bring developers for KWin, wlroots, and etc.?

Comment

shmerl I don’t know about those compositors. I only need one compositor. Like I only need one kernel.
          Exactly the point. You aren't the only user however, and other users have other needs.

Comment

Kernels are not equal. Compositors are not equal. Projects suffering from lack of resources aren’t that important. Who cares about Hurd or experimental compositors? If you want a supported compositor then Fedora or Ubuntu can provide that. Others as well.
            All projects suffer from lack of resources due to how Wayland compositors differ from Xorg. You are OK with slow development, I'm not. I think compositor developers should figure out ways to pool resources better. Wayland has its benefits, but the above is one huge downside, which they shouldn't ignore. You are delusional, if you think Wayland approach is a swap replacement for X resources wise.

Comment

Funny, I'm hoping that between wlroots and Purism's work, an alternative will arise which can seamlessly replace mutter while keeping the other parts of the Gnome 3 DE under Wayland. As currently architectured and implemented, mutter is tolerable but hard to recommend for production.

Comment

Here's a simple thing I really desire: FloatRect for SDL_RenderCopy.

Comment

Mutter is already in use for production environment.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Mutter is already in use for production environment.
                    So is KWin and I'm sure others as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X