Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CERN Is Working To Move Further Away From Microsoft Due To License Costs Going Up By 10x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CERN Is Working To Move Further Away From Microsoft Due To License Costs Going Up By 10x

Phoronix: CERN Is Working To Move Further Away From Microsoft Due To License Costs Going Up By 10x

CERN, The European Organization for Nuclear Research that is home to the Large Hadron Collider and a lot of other experiments, is experimenting with moving further away from Microsoft products. Due to Microsoft license fee increases affecting their work in the research laboratory and its budget, they established the Microsoft Alternatives "MAlt" project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm fascinated that a high end research organization like CERN would run Microsoft stuff to begin with.

Comment

This is common sense, and a welcome decision.

Comment

I see the old Microsoft is still alive and kicking despite what their current CEO keeps trying to insist...

Seriously thou, how is an academic research institute focused on particle physics not an academic institution? Because it sounds like what they actually mean when they say "academic" is "education" and their primary reason for these discounts is essentially the same reason why drug dealers always give first time customers a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by CERN
          Avoid vendor lock-in to decrease risk and dependency
          A big research institution might research their way out of vendor lock-in, but it is a big problem for everyone else.

Last edited by andreano; 12 June 2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            I'm fascinated that a high end research organization like CERN would run Microsoft stuff to begin with.
            It's mostly for administrators and the email server.

Comment

I guess the time has come for CERN to come up with a real opensource alternative to Skype for Linux?

Comment

Assuming that CERN will end up having the same budget for software as before, they could ostensibly hire a small cadre of OSS developers to help adapt and upstream the changes they need in the various stacks they decide to adopt.

Since CERN is funded by its member states, this could end up being a huge boon to the wider OSS ecosystem. This could also be construed as a very effective bargaining chip in licensing negotiations and it'll be interesting to see how things develop going forward

In any case, if I were IBM, I'd get involved via RedHat ASAP. Once CERN jumps ship and develops its own solutions, so can other research organisations. And since CERN already runs CentOS (nee Scientific Linux)...

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
                  I guess the time has come for CERN to come up with a real opensource alternative to Skype for Linux?
                  You mean like Ekiga?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    > I guess the time has come for CERN to come up with a real opensource alternative to Skype for Linux?

You mean like Ekiga?
                    Or, since we're talking about the organization that invented the web: WebRTC

Comment

Working...
                    X