Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Begins Rolling Out Windows Subsystem For Linux 2

Phoronix: Microsoft Begins Rolling Out Windows Subsystem For Linux 2

After announcing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 just over one month ago, Microsoft has begun pushing out WSL2 to its Windows Insider Preview channel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    I should have out preliminary tests in the next day or two of WSL2 vs. WSL2 vs. Windows vs. Linux benchmarks.
    I think we have a typo. I guess the first WSL2 there should be WSL1.

Comment

I guess that explains why my windows box randomly got a bsod on lxcore.sys earlier

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        I guess that explains why my windows box randomly got a bsod on lxcore.sys earlier
        It does not; lxcore.sys is WSL1.

Comment

I will test if this finally means i can run docker linux containers properly on Windows 10. They have been working on docker-LCOW for years now and cant get the i/o (9p filesystem) to work correctly. Last time i tested WSL1 the i/o was already more compatible, but really slow, so hopefully WSL2 can solve those issues.

Comment

There is this recurring still not yet answered question: Will it be possible to install a Nvidia GPU driver and run CUDA applications in WSL2? Please be the first to answer that! I am aware of the fact, that the drivers for some Nvidia cards do not allow running in a virtual system, but at least for the known supported ones (like Tesla drivers with K80, V100, etc.) it would be good to know. Thanks!

Comment

WSL2 is "just" a VM. Why should i use WSL2 and not any other VM Solution to Run Docker Containers?

Comment

Originally posted by swittmer View Post
                There is this recurring still not yet answered question: Will it be possible to install a Nvidia GPU driver and run CUDA applications in WSL2? Please be the first to answer that! I am aware of the fact, that the drivers for some Nvidia cards do not allow running in a virtual system, but at least for the known supported ones (like Tesla drivers with K80, V100, etc.) it would be good to know. Thanks!
                No, it's just a (crappy) VM.

Comment

So which one will be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

No, it's just a (crappy) VM.
                    I can actually run a Linux VM on Windows Hyper-V and use the GPU with CUDA in the VM via DDA. So your response should have been: "Yes, it's just a (crappy) VM". Right?

Comment

Working...
                    X