Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of RISC-V For Debian 10 "Buster"

Phoronix: The State Of RISC-V For Debian 10 "Buster"

Debian's RISC-V support has been coming together but how's the state of affairs for the imminent Debian 10.0 "Buster" release?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm quite impressed how fast they packed so many things. Hopefully we see some more RISC-V Hardware in the next years.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
      I'm quite impressed how fast they packed so many things. Hopefully we see some more RISC-V Hardware in the next years.
      I'm sure the vast majority of it is automated. I imagine they have a handful of systems just constantly churning out packages 24/7. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the 10% of packages not ported to RISC-V can't be ported, either because they're still queued or because they're incompatible (like the whole LLVM thing mentioned in the article).

Comment

So is this RV64G, RV64GC or some completely different extension set?

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
          Most likely its for the common denominator.( the weakest one.. )

I think the same happens with mips, which is compiled for mips32r2, even tough that mips32r5 it out there, in silicon, with powerful simd instructions..
          It also happens for in x86/x86_64..

Comment

Going with RV64GC would probably be the most generic approach. Even hifive1 implements the C so I suspect anything more powerful will have that.

Comment

From: https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Hardw...and_ABI_choice
              The Debian port uses RV64GC as the hardware baseline and the lp64d ABI (the default ABI for RV64G systems).

Making the C extension a part of the default hardware baseline for general-purpose binary Linux distributions has been agreed upon between Fedora porters, Debian porters and members of the RISC-V foundation. According to the chairman of the board of the RISC-V foundation, the foundation will provide "a profile for standard RISC-V Unix platforms that will include C as mandatory".

Comment

Vagrant Cascadian has a pretty good description of the packages available and pending in his Latch-Up video...
                Vagrant CascadianDebian's port for 64-bit RISC-V, riscv64, already builds 88% of Debian's available packages. It's possible to build a ...

Comment

Now all we need is a RISC-5'erry Phi or something like that and off we go

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                  X