Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software for Linux 19.20 Brings RHEL 8.0 Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software for Linux 19.20 Brings RHEL 8.0 Support

Quietly released last week was Radeon Software for Linux 19.20, the latest quarterly update to AMD's packaged Linux driver that consists of their AMDGPU-PRO binary driver option as well as the AMDGPU-Open packaged components using a snapshot of Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi, Michael.
    I have made a script that makes it possible to install that driver in ubuntu 19.04. See here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110795
    Also, I have noticed that new packages appeared in distributed archives. They are: opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr, opencl-amdgpu-pro-hip, opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr.
    I did not explored what they are yet.
    Do you know if AMD has some schedule on releasing their proprietary drivers?

Comment

Unlike Amdgpu , Amdgpupro doesn't provide Southern island HD7950/R280 support I right ?

Comment

They ported DXVK compatibility fixes from open amdvlk to closed one. It's not necessarily faster though, more like the opposite (apart from compiling shaders on the CPU).

Comment

I notice that this driver supports very few cards. Do people really use the proprietary driver knowing full well that they will need to switch to the open one half way through the lifespan of their GPU in order to stay current?

This isn't a complaint towards AMD (since they have provided great work in the open driver). This is more a query about user behavior. Do they really replace GPU every year or blitz away their OS? How do they get time for actual work!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I notice that this driver supports very few cards.
            What?

HD 7700 - VII - It is not enough? All GCN Series!

Comment

HD 7700 - VII - It is not enough? All GCN Series!
              Well unlike Amdgpu(you have to explicitly activate Southern island,GCN 1.0 support, but it works) , Amdgpupro doesn't seem to install neither on Ubuntu lts nor on openSuse leap with my HD7950/R280 GCN card.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenpfand81 View Post
                Well unlike Amdgpu(you have to explicitly activate Southern island,GCN 1.0 support, but it works) , Amdgpupro doesn't seem to install neither on Ubuntu lts nor on openSuse leap with my HD7950/R280 GCN card.
                Looks like the release notes include support for Southern Islands FirePRO cards (2100, 4100 etc...) but not the consumer cards.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ashark View Post
                  Hi, Michael.
                  I have made a script that makes it possible to install that driver in ubuntu 19.04. See here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110795
                  Also, I have noticed that new packages appeared in distributed archives. They are: opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr, opencl-amdgpu-pro-hip, opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr.
                  I did not explored what they are yet.
                  Do you know if AMD has some schedule on releasing their proprietary drivers?
                  Hi,

tried your script with Ubuntu 19.04 (up-to-date) and amd RX460.
                  everything installed without any errors but after rebooting, the system freeze at:

[OK] started GNOME display manager

Comment

Working...
                  X