Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Konsole Seeing Improvements For Wayland

Phoronix: KDE's Konsole Seeing Improvements For Wayland

KDE developer Tomaz Canabrava is working on a set of improvements around their Konsole terminal emulator when running on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope he is sober while merging this code.*

*Brazilians will understand :-)

Comment

Wayland. Everything you took for granted fro the last 20+ years, you can't do anymore.

Comment

As long as he retains Zmodem support in Konsole. I love it. Only terminal emulator that has it built in.

Comment

Never noticed that something specific to Konsole didn't work in Wayland, but nice to see the added focus there on fixing bugs like this!

Comment

A aWasn’t one of the points in favor of Wayland that “desktop environments already do everything themselves and push the finished frame to X”? If that was true, why is it taking so long to switch to a display API that’s been stable for years?

Im starting to think that simply forking X to remove the legacy stuff everybody complains about and keeping the current features used would be a much better, and faster to adopt, project.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              A aWasn’t one of the points in favor of Wayland that “desktop environments already do everything themselves and push the finished frame to X”? If that was true, why is it taking so long to switch to a display API that’s been stable for years?

Im starting to think that simply forking X to remove the legacy stuff everybody complains about and keeping the current features used would be a much better, and faster to adopt, project.
              Because nobody was working on Wayland seriously 24/7. It was always a half-assed approach only caring about Intel and some irrelevant shell and not bothering engaging Nvidia to do something about their drivers until Nvidia itself started working on EGL streams and whatnot. Also, historically Linux made most of the money on server software (even Canonical) and the desktop was never their main goal like it was for Microsoft and Apple. And since Linux is a server and dev thing these people defined its desktop with lots of finicky and stupid ideas (it's like putting an SJW in charge of a rock concert). That's why Linux won so easily in the server market and is still much behind as a desktop OS. And this will not change anytime soon, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Wayland. Everything you took for granted fro the last 20+ years, you can't do anymore.
                Yeah none of my security vulnerabilities work anymore.

Comment

Why is Debian stuck with such outdated konsole? The rest of KDE is way more up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Yeah none of my security vulnerabilities work anymore.
                    Mine either! I guess I'll have to come up with completely new ones!

Comment

Working...
                    X