The Latest Linux Kernel Appears To Be Causing Connectivity Issues For Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Linux Kernel Appears To Be Causing Connectivity Issues For Steam

Phoronix: The Latest Linux Kernel Appears To Be Causing Connectivity Issues For Steam

If you are planning to enjoy some Linux gaming this week via Steam, you may want to think twice about upgrading to the latest Linux kernel Git code or even the newest stable point releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, I have found an issue myself that returns a connection error from the steam client, but it turned out to be something else entirely, the shader pre-cache and vulkan. I posted it here just in the community instead of filling a bug since I found the workaround already.

Comment

I don't have any issues.
      5.1.12-arch1-1-ARCH

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
        I don't have any issues.
        5.1.12-arch1-1-ARCH
        Me either (Manjaro Plasma)

Code:
        uname -r
        5.1.12-22-tkg-bmq

Comment

I am on Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with a stock kernel and in my case, while Steam says is a connection problem, I can do a workaround, witch consist of un-mounting a USB HDD where part of my installed game library is, them it connect normally to Steam servers. So if I re-mount and re-add the disk while already logged, it works fine. But next login it starts all over again.

-EDIT

Starting Steam with -tcp option also corrects the issue and is much more practical. Thanks wolfyrion for the tip!
          Last edited by M@GOid; 21 June 2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Given the seemingly growing number of people impacted by this regression, we assume it's on the Valve developers agenda to look at today
            i think it's a case of kernel breaking userspace, no?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

i think it's a case of kernel breaking userspace, no?
              The legend says that if you repeat "kernel breaking userspace" three times, Linus will appear and scream at you.

Comment

How on earth did a kernel bug screw up steam? There really needs to be a bigger separation between kernel and userspace.......

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  How on earth did a kernel bug screw up steam? There really needs to be a bigger separation between kernel and userspace.......
                  Subtle networking bugs have nothing to do with a separation between kernel and userspace...

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Remember, the kernel OWNS the hardware. Anything a user-space program does that touches hardware goes through the kernel. Network access requires hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X