Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like PulseAudio 13.0 Will Be Releasing Soon

Phoronix: It Looks Like PulseAudio 13.0 Will Be Releasing Soon

It's been a year since the release of PulseAudio 12 and even eleven months since the last point release but it looks like the next PulseAudio release will be out very soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool. Pulse has always made it easier for me and tools like PulseEffects have made it essential.

I expect the FBI to start monitoring this thread once the anti-Poettering fan club arrives.

Comment

I thought PulseAudio would be forgotten in favour of PipeWire, the next-gen audio and video daemon. Any news about this?

Would PulseEffects be ported to the next-gen PipeWire?

What about LADSPA and LV2?

What about ALSA?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I thought PulseAudio would be forgotten in favour of PipeWire, the next-gen audio and video daemon. Any news about this?

Would PulseEffects be ported to the next-gen PipeWire?

What about LADSPA and LV2?

What about ALSA?
        Pipewire will ultimately replace pulse but it's far from ready. LADSPA and LV2 is a "probably". ALSA emulation is an intended feature of pipewire but it's not yet ready.

Comment

Wondering the same thing, though PipeWire doesn't even have a page on wikipedia and the presentation from 4 months ago on youtube has ironically very shitty audio.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            Pipewire will ultimately replace pulse but it's far from ready.
            That didn't stop Pulse from making its way into various distros years ago. Not that I'm eager to go through all that again, but just pointing out the obvious

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              That didn't stop Pulse from making its way into various distros years ago.
              that was distros failures, not pulse's
              and there was no superior alternative back then

Comment

I thought PulseAudio would be forgotten in favour of PipeWire,
                Well, I must say PA works perfectly now. When I first tried it many years ago, all it did is break audio completely. I was really against it. Now it just... works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Well, I must say PA works perfectly now. When I first tried it many years ago, all it did is break audio completely. I was really against it. Now it just... works perfectly.
                  I agree. Most people who hate PA are just clinging on to old impressions.
                  Ideally, I'd rather stick with pure ALSA, but being such a nightmare to configure, PA makes life so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    that was distros failures, not pulse's
                    and there was no superior alternative back then
                    I don't think it can be just called a distro failure. Yes, there was some distributions that shipped it better than others but the overall problem was that Pulse was taking advantage of more of the ALSA feature set than other usages of ALSA up until that point and the underlying ALSA driver often had bugs that Pulse exposed. This was the same situation with NetworkManager and wireless in the Linux kernel at that time. Eventually the drivers got fixed and integration became more solid. It is worth remember the amount of resources being invested in desktop technologies remain a small fraction of what other vendors like Microsoft or Apple do and therefore when these technologies are first introduced, they are supported by such a small team of people that it is very impressive what has been accomplished. The initial integration pains are the price to pay for the relatively small amount of resources that commercial distribution vendors invest in the desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X