Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Adds Initial User-Space Support For Vulkan

Phoronix: OpenBSD Adds Initial User-Space Support For Vulkan

Somewhat surprisingly, OpenBSD has added the Vulkan library and ICD loader support as their newest port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OpenBSD Adds Initial User-Space Support For Vulkan

Somewhat surprisingly, OpenBSD has added the Vulkan library and ICD loader support as their newest port...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Vulkan-Support
    Firsts ports to use it will be dolphin emulator and vkquake
    #Vulkan API framework imported into ports/graphics on #OpenBSD :flan_cheer:​ https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports-cvs&m=156121732625604&w=2 (and other ports) Now vkquake and emulators/dolphin with vk backend are mostly ready to #PlayOnBSD

Comment

Still no Polaris support on the AMD side, as far as I can tell; at least not for my polaris cards. Not sure how many years I'll need to wait for my Vega cards to gain support. lol. Maybe if I send some cards to OpenBSD devs they'll get frustrated enough to fix the DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Still no Polaris support on the AMD side, as far as I can tell; at least not for my polaris cards. Not sure how many years I'll need to wait for my Vega cards to gain support. lol. Maybe if I send some cards to OpenBSD devs they'll get frustrated enough to fix the DRM.
        Try -current and build a kernel with the amdgpu driver.

Comment

do you think that if OpenBSD would change its license to a GPL compliant one Linux (security wise) will benefit from that?
          PS: I know it's both OT and shitpost, but if could spark any insight... the secure side of OpenBSD always fascinated me (I'm a simple user).
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            do you think that if OpenBSD would change its license to a GPL compliant one Linux (security wise) will benefit from that?
            PS: I know it's both OT and shitpost, but if could spark any insight... the secure side of OpenBSD always fascinated me (I'm a simple user).
            Thanks!
            Probably not. It was less secure in the past than Linux and even FreeBSD. However, OpenBSD could benefit from Linux drivers.

Comment

Thanks!
              Originally posted by Volta View Post
              Probably not. It was less secure in the past than Linux and even FreeBSD. However, OpenBSD could benefit from Linux drivers.
              Neither of these questions make any sense.

All of the code there is "GPL compliant".

The various security mechanisms are all over the place in various parts of the OS. Someone would have to reimplment ideas in various Linux
              components on their own. Code doesn't come out of thin air.

It's more like the other way around. It's the most secure of them all out of the box.

Comment

Has anyone tried to use DXVK with FreeBSD Wine?

That can be a pretty big practical use for Vulkan on BSD.

OpenBSD...not so much since it doesn't support Wine last I checked.

Comment

Thanks!
                  Security is one of those nice intangible features that is mostly a function of "what are you intending to do with your computer". OpenBSD are focussed on building security friendly OS, but all that really means is that people interested in security run OpenBSD. So it is a highly self-fulfilling prophesy. You can bet that when the same people who run OpenBSD use their skills to configure Windows or Linux boxes those turn out pretty secure too.

Give OpenBSD to some kid downloading Minecraft mods from warez sites, and it'll be as compromised as anything else.

More on topic to your question - there is nothing stopping OpenBSD and Linux sharing ideas, even if you can't (and probably wouldn't want to) copy/paste source code between them.

Comment

Probably not. It was less secure in the past than Linux and even FreeBSD.
                    Citation needed...

However, OpenBSD could benefit from Linux drivers.
                    Where do you think OpenBSD it got its radeon and intel gpu code from?

Likewise Linux often benefits from porting OpenBSD's wireless drivers. Traditionally because of the OpenBSD's policy of reverse engineering rather than using binary blobs, their drivers have often been of a better quality. And professionals share work. They are not kids.

do you think that if OpenBSD would change its license to a GPL compliant one Linux (security wise) will benefit from that?!
                    It doesn't need to; the BSD license is more permissive than the GPL so all of OpenBSD's innovations can be used by Linux if there are no technical issues. A good example of this is OpenSSH.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 23 June 2019, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X