No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD Picks Up Radeon Performance Improvements With Latest Code Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Picks Up Radeon Performance Improvements With Latest Code Update

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Picks Up Radeon Performance Improvements With Latest Code Update

Slipping just past this week's DragonFlyBSD 5.6 release is now an early feature for the next series: continued work on the Radeon DRM driver ported to this BSD from the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rher esi ary oi:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    fan control improvements for GCN 1.0/1.1 graohucs cards,

Comment

I wonder if they report fan speeds? That's never worked for my GCN 1.x cards on Linux.

Comment

Wouldn't porting drivers from the Linux tree force the work that receives such code to be re-licensed as GNU GPL? Isn't this a GPL violation?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          Wouldn't porting drivers from the Linux tree force the work that receives such code to be re-licensed as GNU GPL? Isn't this a GPL violation?
          The driver code is under the MIT license, I believe, or something similar. So when it's brought into linux, it gets dual-licensed under GPL, but the BSD's can still use it under the original license in their kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

The driver code is under the MIT license, I believe, or something similar. So when it's brought into linux, it gets dual-licensed under GPL, but the BSD's can still use it under the original license in their kernels.
            Makes me wish it was GPLed so any BSD that wants to take advantage of these drivers has to get re-licensed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Makes me wish it was GPLed so any BSD that wants to take advantage of these drivers has to get re-licensed as well.
              For what it's worth, the license choice was intentional by AMD (and matches all the other gpu drivers) - and also matches what Mesa and X use. The idea is that they wanted all those projects to be shared between Linux, BSDs, and whatever else wants to pick them up.

Comment

Working...
              X