Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Managing to make it out today as a surprise is the Raspberry Pi 4. The Raspberry Pi 4 is a major overhaul and their most radical update yet while base pricing still starts out at $35 USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everything is great except the MicroHDMI ports.

Which engineer in their right mind would use such an abomination. Which engineer thought a 32-bit LPDDR4 could handle dual 4K displays to justify putting such an abomination on a board that is expected to sell in the millions.

They should have just kept 1 full size HDMI port to save everyone the hassle of getting adapters.
    Last edited by LoveRPi; 24 June 2019, 02:35 PM. Reason: Full HDMI Port

Comment

Open-source 3D driver out of the box is great news!
      Just needs 64-bit Raspbian image out of the box and I'll be happy

Comment

In before the 'I wish it had [insert feature here]' crowd turns up.

Remember folks, the intended use for the RPi boards is education. You being able to buy one is an afterthought.

Comment

There are benchmarks over at Toms Hardware / Medium (shared review).

In some places the Pi 4 is 4x faster, as you would expect from jumping from A53s to A72s. These are also easily overclockable to 1.75GHz.

The GPU is the Videocore VI apparently, at 500MHz (can be overclocked to 600MHz). It's not significantly faster than the old Pi, maybe 50% at best. This could be a driver issue, as there are clearly video playback issues with the drivers from the above review.

Micro-HDMI is not ideal, although they claim to have done work to ensure they are robust, and the £105 kit does include two cables (as well as case, keyboard, mouse, etc). I wonder if they could have considered DisplayPort over USB-C, and kept the full-size HDMI.

PCIe attached USB3 controller gives great performance. I recommend using a USB SSD, the benchmarks are great. The SD is better as well, but it's still an SD.
          Gigabit is internal to the SoC with an external transceiver, and performance is also great.

It does run hotter though, despite being 28nm (down from 40nm). I'd recommend a passive heatsink if you run heavy workloads, to stop the thermal throttle.

I'll be getting one of these at least, to repurpose an old monitor. Might get a second as a server.

Edit: Aside - the official RPi Site and Blog was run on a cluster of 18 Pi 4s for the launch, and it would have cost under £1000 (72GB, 72 cores). Source Mythic Beasts on Twitter.
          Last edited by sykobee; 24 June 2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
            I'll be getting one of these at least, to repurpose an old monitor.
            This.

Comment

I really like it. There just two things I would do different:
              - 1 full-sized HDMI Port insted of 2 micro HDMI Ports
              - A combined headset jack insted of a combined video Jack. Like honestly who uses that?
              Last edited by 9Strike; 24 June 2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I too would have preferred one full-size HDMI, and USB-C with DisplayPort. That way you can still connect two 4K displays. And power/data/display via a single cable.

Comment

Another overpriced SBC. Unless someone is looking for something that's explicitly supported by this board, it's an overpriced piece of crap. The move to miniHDMI is a major mistake as well, old cases won't fit, and people need to replace cables in their setups. I feel bad that I spent $35 on my 3B+, pretty much every other manufacturer has a better deal, and plenty of boards have the same layout.

Comment

I wonder what the inevitable Pi 4A will be like - finding $10 of cost reductions might be difficult due to heavy integration in the main SoC.

No WiFi. 1GB option only. 1 HDMI only? No USB3? Slower clock?

The big benefit of the Pi ecosystem is the community, of course. That's worth the $35 on its own. And if $35 is overpriced for you, then you probably should be prioritising other areas of life than buying SBCs. I could have agreed that aspects of the previous Pis were crap - USB hub for ethernet, flaky power, slow CPUs - it appears this board has more than resolved these issues.
                    Last edited by sykobee; 24 June 2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X