Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panfrost Gallium3D Picks Up Yet More Features Thanks To Collabora's Summer Internship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panfrost Gallium3D Picks Up Yet More Features Thanks To Collabora's Summer Internship

Phoronix: Panfrost Gallium3D Picks Up Yet More Features Thanks To Collabora's Summer Internship

Just a few days ago I wrote how the Panfrost Gallium3D driver continues making incredible progress for this community-driven, open-source graphics driver targeting Arm Bifrost/Midgard graphics. There's yet another batch of new features and improvements to talk about...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent timing, as the Pinebook Pro should be out later this year. The benchmarks should be very interesting.

Comment

Is there some reason why this driver isn't on mesamatrix? I have just noticed virgl was added, so that's nice anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Is there some reason why this driver isn't on mesamatrix? I have just noticed virgl was added, so that's nice anyway.
        Firstly, the driver must appear on the features file:

Secondly, I don't if the hardware supports OpenGLES 3 or higher, which seems to be the minimum level displayed on the file

Thirdly, if all the previous requirements were fulfilled, you have to check with mesamatrix developer ( don't remember if it was Creak or someone else here in the forums) if there is any modification needed to display that information

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...s/features.txt
          Secondly, I don't if the hardware supports OpenGLES 3 or higher, which seems to be the minimum level displayed on the file
          Hardware using the Lima driver (Mali 470 and lower) is OpenGL ES 2.0 for Utgard and 1.1 for the very first models (Mali 55/110). It'd be great to track status for lower-tier hardware, but as you mentioned, there's nothing for it on Mesa Matrix at the moment.

The Panfrost stuff is about Midgard (T604-T880) and Bifrost (G31-G76) hardware, and all of it supports OpenGL 3.1 or higher. Midgard is getting most of the attention at the moment. Vulkan and OpenGL ES 3.2 support kicks in during the 3rd generation of Midgard (Q3 2013), but is present for all of Bifrost. It's rather suitable for tracking, and since they're mainlining things, I think it'll get added at some point.

The internship is about stabilizing the OpenGL [ES] 2.0 support, so it might be a bit premature at this point. I'd still love to see it up there. It'd be nice if Mesa Matrix could showcase the early wins as well as the late-game wins.

EDIT: left out the "ES" in the internship details.
          Last edited by Terrablit; 24 June 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Nice to know that a open-Source driver is closer for MidGard/Bifrost Graphics Hardware..
            Is Lima already merged for Utgard Hardware, and working?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Thirdly, if all the previous requirements were fulfilled, you have to check with mesamatrix developer ( don't remember if it was Creak or someone else here in the forums) if there is any modification needed to display that information
              Yep, that's me
              And you're right, panfrost is not listed in mesa's features.txt so I can't do much about that for now.

Comment

Working...
              X