Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspbian Based On Debian 10 Offering Up Some Performance Improvements For Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspbian Based On Debian 10 Offering Up Some Performance Improvements For Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: Raspbian Based On Debian 10 Offering Up Some Performance Improvements For Raspberry Pi

Alongside this week's announcement of the Raspberry Pi 4, the Raspberry Pi Foundation also released a new Raspbian operating system release that is re-based from Debian 9 Stretch to the soon-to-be-released Debian 10 Buster. In benchmarking of these new and old Raspbian releases on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus, there are performance gains to find even if not jumping to the Raspberry Pi 4.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That combined with the Pi 4 seems like a nice day for the Pi...

Comment

On one hand I'm very curious how a 4GB Pi4 compares against x86 processors, and on the other the Pi is beyond the point of desperately needing any storage hardware better than SD cards and a power bus that doesn't sag to undervoltage so easily. Of course neither of those are easy at the price point :/

Comment

Originally posted by tedder View Post
        On one hand I'm very curious how a 4GB Pi4 compares against x86 processors, and on the other the Pi is beyond the point of desperately needing any storage hardware better than SD cards and a power bus that doesn't sag to undervoltage so easily. Of course neither of those are easy at the price point :/
        I'm not sure if the RPis can take advantage of the UHS class SD cards, but those actually have some pretty good performance.
        As for power sagging, sometimes it's easier to just get a powered USB hub.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm not sure if the RPis can take advantage of the UHS class SD cards, but those actually have some pretty good performance.
          As for power sagging, sometimes it's easier to just get a powered USB hub.
          Considering that there are SBCs with full-size PCIe ports, IO on rpi is depressing. I've been extremely disappointed with these, as even older models have enough juice to work as a storage server, yet they don't have sufficient IO to even handle mechanical hard drives over the network.

Oh, and don't get me started with 3B+ with it's gigabit ethernet over USB 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            with 3b+ they have even managed to put the Bluetooth chip on the console rxtx pins. As the result - no console unless BT chip is disabled. I could never understand why so many noise around this shitty hw

Comment

Considering that there are SBCs with full-size PCIe ports, IO on rpi is depressing. I've been extremely disappointed with these, as even older models have enough juice to work as a storage server, yet they don't have sufficient IO to even handle mechanical hard drives over the network.

Most of those SBCs are substantially larger and more expensive. The Pi is trying to retain the original form factor as best it can. I'd argue the form factor and board layout is more important than PCIe slots (for the Pis specifically, not SBCs in general).

I do think it'd be nice if they released a "next gen form factor" that does accommodate more modern features.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Most of those SBCs are substantially larger and more expensive. The Pi is trying to retain the original form factor as best it can. I'd argue the form factor and board layout is more important than PCIe slots (for the Pis specifically, not SBCs in general).

I do think it'd be nice if they released a "next gen form factor" that does accommodate more modern features.
                Form factor doesn't rule out the possibility of providing a bus fast enough to accommodate for proper gigabit Ethernet, and maybe even USB 3.0. I understand that trying to cram in a PCIe port would require a larger board, but it's not the only way to improve the situation.

Comment

Form factor doesn't rule out the possibility of providing a bus fast enough to accommodate for proper gigabit Ethernet, and maybe even USB 3.0. I understand that trying to cram in a PCIe port would require a larger board, but it's not the only way to improve the situation.
                  Have you heard of the 4B ? It has real gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0. And up to 4GiB DRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                    That combined with the Pi 4 seems like a nice day for the Pi...
                    Actually, today is tau day. 6/28.
                    Since τ (tau) is 2*π, it can...it SHOULD be used wherever we write 2π. Like... almost everywhere. So today is the worst day of the year for any kind of π, raspberry or not.
                    For millennia, the circle has been considered the most perfect of shapes, and the circle constant π captured the geometry of the circle in a single number. But π is wrong, and it’s time to set things right.

Comment

Working...
                    X